Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Recently my sister was married and I was her maid of honor. Which meant I got to see all my brother's and sisters again after a few years!
But during my stay out there, they all made comments about how I was "too skinny" etc.
My sister in law mentioned that she was a little heavier than I was when she went to a doctor that told her she was anorexic.

I am 5'6" and weigh 116 lbs.
My appetite is very small, usually when I am hungry I grab a cup of coffee instead or step outside for a cigarette. But after my sis's comment I am a little concerned about my own health.

Is there a specific name for doctors who diagnose and treat anorexia?

I'd like to get to a doctor for a check up and see if I'm doing okay...but don't know where to start.

Please don't be rude, as I never put much thought into my health when it comes to my weight and am curious which steps I should take and don't intend to be unhealthy.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

Answers (11)
  • Talk to your regular physician and he will refer you to a psychologist possibly, but that s would be the best place to start GL big hugs!

    Answer by rhonda111787 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • do you think you may be? you do sound a bit underweight, but it isn't necessarily anorexia. If i'm not mistaken, those who are anorexic, think they are overweight, which is why they don't want to eat. Just try to eat healthy meals at least three times a day and you should be okay.

    Answer by Kainalu55 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Come to my house...I can give you like 50 pounds :) haha

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Go to a regular doctor first and see what he/she says first. You can try to change your eating habits yourself first. When your hungry, eat something. Then go out and have a cigarette.  I use to be the same way when I smoked. Coffee and a cigarette was my diet pill. Then I quit smoking and my appetite came back and I gained 75lb.


    Answer by louise2 at 6:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Check with your primary care doctor. It doesn't really sound like you are anorexic, because you are concerned about it. Most people with anorexia deny there is a problem. In general, it's better to be a few pounds underweight than overweight, and a lot depends on your frame. Just be sure you are eating a healthy diet.

    Answer by elasmimi at 7:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • I am 5'6 and I weigh 130lbs. I am pretty skinny , so I would say you are underweight. Talk with your dr. and he can tell you what to do about it.

    Answer by ProudMommie87 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • i think you're ok. my mother in law is 33 and she's 5"6 and 115 lbs. she's skinny, but she does not look anorexic or too thin, she looks great. anorexia does not mean you're underweight, it is an eating disorder in which you starve yourself to lose weight that you think you have

    Answer by momofone725 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • oh i'll also mention that i have a fried who is 5"11 and weighs 115 lbs, now she looks too thin. 116 is fine for 5'6" as long as you're eating

    Answer by momofone725 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • I would go to your regular physician first. I've had eating disorders most of my life and that's where I first started. He was able to refer me to specialists.

    Answer by LillyJD at 12:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Very good answers. Thanks everyone. I do plan to quit smoking as a goal before moving to our new house, so I'm sure my appetite will increase afterward. =]

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.