Strange question

If formula is so horrible and leads to an early death from SIDS,diabetes,etc... Why is everyone so concerned about the baby boomers overwhelming social security with how many of them there are and how they're living so long?

I've really wondered this for awhile. I'm sorry if it bugs people but it popped into my head a few days ago and I just had to ask because it's keeping me up at night.
I'm not saying this to bug people and I do realize that breastfeeding has benefits. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who has ever been bothered by this question?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• hmmmmmmmm..............ive never really thought about, but it is something that im thinking about now...
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 3:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not all of those people were formula fed. LOL But, there are tons of folks with diabetes, tons with heart disease, tons of obese people, tons with blood pressure issues.

Not to mention, right about the time formula because the norm, so did processed foods. So, it's the mixture of all of that.

Still, some folks were nursed and lived on farms where they got good foods as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• formula is just as good as breastfeeding cause they are making formula with the same vitamins and antioxidents that you would find in breast milk.i did both pumped and formula cause i wasnt producing enough milk to satisfy him and he is very healthy the only thing he has had is the common cold and he is now 5
    jtaylor03

Answer by jtaylor03 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Formula will never have everything that is in breastmilk. LOL You cannot add the antibodies to formula. Breastmilk has like millions of things in it. Formula has corn syrup solids among other things that BM does not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm not saying they're the same I'm just saying it doesn't seem to kill people. The antibodies didn't seem to be much of an issue for americans and I guess I'm just a skeptic because my family has had an issue with diabetes and heart disease for at least the last five generations and we were farmers.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't think anyone has proposed that formula will kill people.

Well, in underdeveloped nations with disease and no clean water, it does kill babies.

But, generally, formula doesn't kill in the western world.

I haven't seen that argued. Nor do I argue that breastmilk will make children (and the adults they grow to be) totally invincible to sickness and disease. That would be silly.

But, there have been a number of studies comparing breastfed and bottlefed babies in terms of the frequency of various diseases, and also IQ achievement. In every case, the breastfed babies had lower risk of disease and higher IQs than the bottle-fed babies. In those studies that divided breastfed babies into categories based on length of breastfeeding, the babies breastfed the longest did better in terms of both lower disease and higher IQ. In other words, if the categories were 0-6 months of breastfeeding, 6-12 months, 12-18 months...
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• and 18-24+ months, then the 18-24+ month babies did the best, and the 12-18 month babies did the next best, and the 6-12 months babies did the next best, and the 0-6 months babies did the worst of the breastfed groups, but still much better than the bottlefeeding group. This has been shown for gastrointestinal illness, upper respiratory illness, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, heart disease, and on and on.

But, that does not mean that no breastfed person will ever be ill with any of those problems. Nor does it mean that a certain formula fed child cannot have a higher IQ than a certain breastfed child. There are many other factors at play (genetics, environment, etc). It just means, statistically, breastfed babies shower lower instances in illnesses of certain types and statistically higher IQs. Again, that doesn't mean every breastfed baby is immune to those illnesses or that every breastfed baby has a high IQ.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• *The same is true for the healthy foods thing. Obviously, people still died before we had pollution and processed foods. That doesn't mean that those things don't cause illness in some people. Other people can live in to be 100 eating fast food, living in a highly polluted city.

The fact that something causes a problem for some people, doesn't mean that it causes that same problem for everyone. And there can also be multiple possible causes. Does that make sense?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• WIC told me I was killing my son by formula feeding him so that's why I even got on this kind of topic. It's just bothered me every since because my parents and all there siblings and cousins between age 35-60 were all fed mostly on formula.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I found the IQ studies were really biased because most of the breastfed kids where higher income and the formula fed kids where much more likely to be lower income. But yes completely agree with you that in the less developed countries it is best it breastfeed in most cases.
    Mostly I just question the use of observational(looking at kids rather then an assigned trial like they would do with a drug) studies in this context. Which most researchers will admit are not the best method for scientific conclusions and yet they are treated as gospel by programs like WIC that tell you your kid will be the next einstein(literally on a poster in the lactation consultants office) if you exculsively breastfeed them till they're 1 .
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011