How do I get my 21 month old to say her words?

I have trouble getting my daughter to speak words other than the usual, mommy,daddy,yes or yeah, and no. She will say random words or phrases every now and then but not when asked.

Mandy_yanna13

Asked by Mandy_yanna13 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am teaching my boys sign language for words like "eat, drink, more, help, etc, When I sign words the boys will actually say them and that has helped alot. You can go on the internet and find words in sign language its really neat!
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• talking to kids helps
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• sign language helps with the frusteration of you not being able to understand what they are saying. and you sign while speaking it, there smarty pants
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have been working on the sign language a little but so far she will repeat the word more and show me the sign and she knows done. She will also push her plate away when finished. I found that if I ask her with words if she is all done or if she wants more she will sign the answer to me. She is almost 2 and Iam tired of her fathers family getting on my case about sending her to a special daycare. I am home all day with her and so is her father ( we work alternating nights at our job and yes the same place) so I don't see any reason to place her in a child care facillity at this age when I am home with her. I would be lost without her here.
    Mandy_yanna13

Comment by Mandy_yanna13 (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If your pediatrician doesnt have any concerns than I wouldnt worry about her developmental health, she can talk, she just chooses not to, I understand you just wanna get her grandparents off your case. I would simply remind them that you know your child better than anybody else out there and if you arent worried they shouldnt be either.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Does she talk jibberish? have pretend conversations with her even if you dont understand her. just simply act like you do, by asking questions and fun stuff like that
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• She loves to speak jibberish and her daddy will sit and ask her questions like.. Is that what mommy said?...or...Did I do all that?.... she just laughs and continues to talk to him in her own language.
    Mandy_yanna13

Comment by Mandy_yanna13 (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My friends son didnt talk until he was seriously 3! it was all jibberish so we would have to do the "show me" thing
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Keep talking to her. When you are talking to her just keep saying word. Like she sees a plane. Say plane, stuff like that. I am doing this with my 2 yo granddaughter.

Answer by louise2 at 6:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Look online for speech therapy. You can teach your kids all the things that a speech therapist would. It REALLY helped my friends kid. He was 3 & not talking. After 6 months with this speech therapist lady, he was talking up a storm.

My OTHER friend, instead started doing it on her own. she researched how speech therapists do their magic & started working with her child herself. I'm sure there are books out there too...

One things for sure, don't baby talk with her. Speak to her as if she is an adult & talk to her all day long. Baby talk can really hinder speech in children. I don't know if you do that or not, just something i learned from my friends who had to go through speech therapy with their child.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2011