Right age to start potty training???

My youngere child is 11 months old and has been trying to walk (well,stumble/toddle) unassisted. She also is on solids completely . I was wondering if she's old enough to be potty trained and if she is ,any suggestions on how to go about it. My older child is almost 5 so it's been a while.

whiskey80

Asked by whiskey80 at 5:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Starting potty training is all up to you. What age you start the child at. It would be a good idea to wait tell the child is walking good.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I go by readiness, NOT age. I used this method when my son was 2.5...it took 4 days. If you start earlier, it may drag out for months on end.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/potty-learning-mom-informed-style.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It just depends on the child. Some dont potty train until they are 3. But I have 3 kids and all of mine were potty trained by the time they were about 2.5 yrs. old... So it really is just when the child is ready... They will show some signs, such as when they pee ( they hold themself or tell you) and poop( they go and hide to do it).. Thats how I knew it was time for my kids to be potty trained and it only took about a week, if that long!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Google "toilet training readiness" and you will see useful info. Most children need to be 2 or older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It depends some kids show signs of being ready sooner than others, you can play with it but don't make it a chore or she won't want to even try, make it fun for her..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• this is something that should be completely at your pace, my son started potting training three months before he turned 2 years old. the school he attended help out and my mother did as well. if you can have help it makes it better for when you are at work or school
    Chunky_Dynamic

Answer by Chunky_Dynamic at 11:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• its when ever u want! my dd is 14months old! we have been sitting on the potty since her birthday! im just getting her used to it! she sits on the potty about 8 times a day! she hasnt done anything yet but once she stood up from the potty seat and peed on the floor and clapped! lol i didnt know wat to do so i laughed and clapped too! she loves to sit on her potty! i have some friends with kids the same age and they r using the potty all the time now! so its up to u!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I started @ 16 months..bought a little potty and kept it in the bathroom and just got him use to it, 18 months I would let him potty right before bath(I knew everytime he got in the bath he had to pee so I would take him out on the potty and praise his potty time :) Then when he turned 2 put him in underwear and was potty trained in a week :) (he absolutely hated diapers so this was very easy for him)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• No you need to wait until the child is able to walk stable and also they will let you know when they need changed. They may say something like "change me" or "wet" or even "poopy" or whatever words that you use with your child for these functions.
    CandySarasmom

Answer by CandySarasmom at 9:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011