27,000 a year

I lost my job and now DH is getting a new job. I Could be a SAHM to my 3 year old nad my 6 year old Autistic son. This would give me more time to really help my son with his behavior because I am not a stressed and tired and he won't be in daycare 4 days a week in the summer. WE could survive fine because we wouldn't be paying childcare or for extra gas and we would qualify for a bout 200 in food stamps thus giving free lunches to DS. I feel bad about my decision to stay home and take gov aide but at the same time I feel it is the best choice for my children. I am so torn. My DH wants me to stay home and if his new job goes well he should be promoted in a year and we would be off of Gov aide. Is it lazy of me to stay home and get food stamps for a year? Should I put of being aSAHM until he gets promoted. Finding daycare for my son is SO hard. I have to drive extra miles to take him to a home daycare because no center will accept him. I just don't kn0w the pros and cons seem to be equal. I just feel bad that I want to stay home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• My thoughts: If you are physically and mentally capable of working, and your family cannot survive on their own with only one income, then you should not stay at home... I am a SAHM. However, we are fully able to support ourselves and our children on just one income. Government assistance should be for those who CANNOT support themselves and their family, not for those that CHOOSE to not support themselves and their families.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have just recently done the same exact thing. My son has ADHD and it has seemed to help him more than I actually thought it would. I was a home nurse and quit to have more time for my family. I was working so much that by the time I would get home, I was so tired and stressed that I couldnt make time for them. Some people can juggle all of those things, but I am not one of them. So if you can make it on one income and you really feel that is what you need to do, then do it! :)
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• There is nothing lazy about staying home and raising your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I min wage job would bring in 620 before taxes about 520 after a paycheck. Daycare would be 280 over the summer 140 in school but I would need to pay for specialized after care of about 150 a week form research so about the same . We would spend an additional 60 in gas and pay school lunches 28 a pay day. Leave 135. so I am paying in more than 1/2 my paycheck just to be able to work. Plus I would loose money at work form having to pick DS up at the daycare for misbehavior. When I was working it was part time but I have been there for several years so he was not in daycare. I was home when he got off the bus but I was stressed out and yelled a lot. I don;t do that anymore. I can more easily handle his needs. I paid in taxes for the last 15 years is it so bad to take food stamps for 1 year?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Sounds to me like you would be working just to pay for daycare.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes, it is. Government assistance is for people who NEED assistance, not that just WANT it. THIS is why so many people who NEED it are denied, because people choose to apply, rather than applying on an as-needed, temporary basis. Maybe instead of a daycare, find a babysitter who can watch him at your home. It'd be cheaper, and they'd be able to work 1-on-1 with him rather than multiple children in a room with one or two adults. 1/2 a paycheck is better than no paycheck.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Why are u explaining yourself u know what's best for your family. And anybody that does'nt think so tell them to kiss your ASS. I know how hard it is to work not make enough to support your family. Don't let a anybody let you feel less because u need extra help.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I am so sorry to hear that. But, I would like to help. Why not SAH am try working a little bit? There is a legit company out there that has an A+ BBB rating. If you are willing to keep an open mind and talk with me today, I will be more than willing to see what I can do for you! I hope to hear from you, as I know the feeling as well. We make about 12000 a yr. without my working from home.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 7:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2011