What would you do?

I work at a local hospital, we have a co-worker who is pregnant, and she's seems like she either doesn't want to be at work or is upset. We ask her if everything is ok, she ignores us or gives us a face. Since we found out bout the pregnancy she is always saying something is wrong with her, she goes to the doc's and he says everything is fine go back to work, then she upset some more. She never helps with answering call lights, doesn't help pass trays, always in a bad mood. Well, my other co-workers have said some things to me about her which is true, and I agree. Well now, I was told I had a meeting with the boss because I and another girl are being mean to her! I've never been mean to her, I always ask if she needs help with any of her pts. She is singling us out and it's ridiculous since everyone talks behind her back. Sounds grade school, I know. Our boss said in a mtg that she's tired of the grade school stuff and needs to stop, but then she calls me and tells me we have a situation and I need to see her Monday? I just don't know what to say about this. I have to have a one on one with this co-worker as well. I'm so upset about this...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• i hate working with women, dont you?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• be honest and explain everything just like you did. you weren't aware there was an issue so now that it has been brought to your attention maybe you can see the issue or confirm there never was an issue. Your boss will figure out if this woman is crying wolf and chances are because she is so unhappy with work she will be let go..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i bet she probably doesnt want to be there and she would be more than happy to take an early maternity leave if she could come back to work after having the baby. thats probably why she keeps running to the doctor. she is probably pushing for the doctor to give her that work excuse and he wont do it. I tried with my pregnancy around 6 months because i was miserable and my doc was like "nope, i want you on your feet"...so since shes not getting her way shes probably just making everyones work life hell.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If there had been any issue with her performance, which there was, you should have discussed this with your supervisor immediately rather than discussing it with your co-workers.

I know, you probably want to hear that you did nothing wrong but you were part of the gossip. She might not know about how 'everyone' is speaking about her but obviously she knows you have. I don't speak as someone who has never gossiped...I speak as someone who was caught out and learned her lesson.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We all have went to supervisor about her perfomance, but nothing was done. I found out today, that she knows everyone is talking about her, but for some reason has singled me and another girl. I never talked bad about her, when someone tells me,"What's up with her?" I say,"I don't know." or " Where is she?" I simply say, "I don't know." Saying "I don't know" has come to this???? My boss states, this isn't grade school, but it's becoming grade school. If she is single me, then she needs to speak to everyone!! Instead of going to boss, she should have manned up and come to me and talk. I didn't know there was an issue. Now I"m all fired up!! I'm just not going to talk to anyone unless it's about a pt. I'm keeping to myself. Or is that childish as well? I want to be an adult about this, but I feel like this childish and hard not to act like one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• get it out here or at the gym. Go for a jog or lock yourself in your bathroom at home or in your car w/windows up and just scream and yell at the top of your lungs. This is a serious accusation even if its not true. This is right up there with sexual harrassment. If I were you I would tell my boss... 'I have no problems with her as a person. I am a mother too. I know pregnancy can be a time of up and down emotions, moods, and energy. If there's anything I can do to help, I want her to know she can ask.' finally if you are being accused dont say anything except 'do I need a lawyer?' This will let them know that you take this seriously. Its very possible that the woman thinks you will back up her story of others harassing her. You may just be her witness.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• go to the meeting, state the facts and invite her in for a mediation meeting.....
    sendcheer

Answer by sendcheer at 5:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011