Shoudl I SAHM and get Gov aide for 9-12 months?

I min wage job would bring in 620 before taxes about 520 after a paycheck. Daycare would be 280 over the summer 140 in school but I would need to pay for specialized after care of about 150 a week form research so about the same . We would spend an additional 60 in gas and pay school lunches 28 a pay day. Leave 135. so I am paying in more than 1/2 my paycheck just to be able to work. Plus I would loose money at work form having to pick DS up at the daycare for misbehavior. When I was working it was part time but I have been there for several years so it paid well, he was not in daycare. I was home when he got off the bus but I was stressed out and yelled a lot. I don't do that anymore. I can more easily handle his needs. He has sever melt downs daily. I paid in taxes for the last 15 years is it so bad to take food stamps for 1 year? I really think it would help my son. He is in second grade next year. We really need to work on this and my attitude was part of the problem. I would work, get stressed out come home to another stressful situation and not handle it well. I guess I just suck but thats how it was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• Personally, I think government aid should be there for people who don't have any other way to get food, that lose their jobs and can't find another, not for people that choose to. But that's just MO. When I left my ex I went on food stamps for 4 months until I found a job and could support my 3 kids (my ex didn't pay child support until 2 years later when they tracked him down, now he's stopped again)

Answer by missanc at 8:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• hmm idk its your decision but honestly aid is for people who work there asses off and still dont make ends meet but lets look at reality alot of people sit at home using state aid...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think you have to do whatever you feel is best for your family. My DH and I decided I would stay home after our 3rd child was born and we had to make a lot of sacrifices so I could. My Dh didn't make a lot and he was supporting 5 people, that was 9 years ago. The first 3 years were very hard although things have gotten easier. It also sounds like you have a child that needs extra help. You might be able to get state help even if you are working. Bottom line is there are always going to be people who judge you no matter what you decide. You just have to ignore them and do what is best for your family because they have never walked in your shoes.

You are not a horrible person for having children and wanting what is best for your family. Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• To answer a question already asked and closed (didn't like the 1st answers?) - there is nothing wrong with going on aid for a year until your husband can get his promotion BUT if he doesn't then your butt needs to be working again because you are capable of working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I see nothin wrong with it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• if your paycheck would cost as much as daycare if not more than what's the point of working? thats why i stay home and until my husband got laid off last month we were able to make it on one income with no assistance. now that he's been laid off we get foodstamps and unemployment but he's also actively seeking work. i do not feel guilty about it because both of us have worked and paid taxes so we're just getting back what we already paid into the system, and it's only a temporary measure until things get better.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't see a problem with it... that's why we have Gov Aid... your kid needs you and hell, you can't make enough working to make ends meet... stay with your kid.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I work my butt off everyday. I don't neglect my family. I don't like the implication that by working to support my family i am neglecting them. I believe government assistance is a temporary solution when you have NO other options. Maybe find a job that works with your sons school schedule.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The aid is a temporary situation until he gets his promotion.
    My son would get better care
    That is in home care- centers would be more like 480 a week.
    His after care would have to be a special needs center because our in home provider is not in our school district.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No shit I am capable of working and so I guess I will go back to work and neglect my family as I haev since they were born. Thanks for helping make my decision. I guess I am just a shitty person for having kids to begin with. Thank God I had my tubes tied.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011