What can i do to help me deal with a speech impaired son?

I love my four year old but i have a hard time with my patience sometimes. I have 2 older children that are also hard headed but my youngest has some issues. He was born 3 months early with colapsed lungs and a large nevus. Last year he was checked by a speech tharipist and had the speech of a 18 month old. I am fine most of the time but his anger and constent crying gets to me and i loose it. He gets so angry that he hits, spits, screams and throws fits. I know its because i cant understand him and he gets very mad. If you have any advice please get back to me. Thanks!

ladyjwitt

Asked by ladyjwitt at 8:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both of you need to work with a therapist on dealing with his behavior and speech. If he getting speech therapy? He should be at that developmental stage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm assuming he is getting speech therapy. Have you tried sign language or a PECS? Both of those can help kids with delayed speech by teaching them another form of communication.

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• does he attend school??? they should offer speech therapy i have a firend and a cousin who went through the therapy at school GL mommy
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• This is his second year of Head Start and he gets speech a couple times a week at school.
    ladyjwitt

Comment by ladyjwitt (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ask the therapist to work with YOU also! Bet she's got some tips for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would talk to the speech therapist and see if there is anything you can do to work with him. Also, have you looked into teaching him sign language. I understand that his hearing if okay although this might be a great way for you both to learn and be able to communicate with each other. I know it is hard although trying to stay calm and not yelling might help the situation as well. You know he is frustrated because he can't explain things to you and he might be a very smart child that just isn't understood, so he gets mad.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• is there a special kind of signing for his age? He is very smart but he just cant tell us.
    ladyjwitt

Comment by ladyjwitt (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You can look up signs by googling ASL. There are tons of easy signs to use and they can ease frustration of a child who just can't tell you verbally what they want.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i saw you said he is in speech therapy. when we found out my son was speech delayed it was suggested by the speech therapist that we make a book with all sorts of different pictures such as an apple for snack or milk for a drink so that when we did not understand what DS wanted (there was alot of pointing and tantruming also) he could point to it. we ended up not doing it because after about 3 months in speech therapy he was able to tell us what he wanted and i was afraid he would become dependent on it and not speak at all even thou he could. i have seen others who made this book and they said it helped them a ton and after a while when their children could speak they phased it out.
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 10:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my daughter is speech impaired and she does the same thing your son does. I get very frustrated at times because I don't understand her. she's 3 1/2 and has the speech of a 2 year old. the best thing my husband and I have did for her was get her into preschool with speaking children. her speech therapist goes to her school to work with her but she's around children her age that are talking and she's now speaking in 3-4 word sentences. take some time out where it's just you and your son and work one on one with him. this brought my daughter and I closer and it's gotten to the point where when she gets frustrated when I don't understand her she'll actually take me to what she wants. try these things and I hope they help for you GL :) I know how frustrating it can get because I used to cry over not being able to understand my daughter
    krystyneh

Answer by krystyneh at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011