baby being around *trained* pits? good bad

my b/f says that his pits are REALLY trained *ex. he lets them loose when he goes hunting) do you think i should trust them to stay inside when i do have a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pets

• My aunt has a chihuahua and a pit. Guess which one is the biter? The chihuahua. Pits are one of the best breeds of dogs to have. They've been singled out and targeted by media and it's not fair. I'd prefer a pitbull or a rotweiler over most any dog. they are so loyal and sweet. I grew up with rots and they are the BEST dogs.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• http://www.southernpitbulls.com/facts.html

this site has great info it is were we are getting one soon maybe

Anonymous

• http://www.southernpitbulls.com/prevent.html 

info on aggression here good luck

Anonymous

• Any dog can be mean I wish people would quit stereo typing pits, A dog is what you make it!!

We had a rottweiler and people gave us crap for having her when we had our son granted Timber protected our house by barking and letting us know that people were around but she was such a loving dog and would never hurt anyone.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• No matter the breed, never, never leave a child under 6 alone with any dog. Not even while you run to the bathroom or step into the kitchen for a cup of water.

Did you know that nearly 2/3's of all dog bites are from dogs that have never bit anyone before - those wonderful, loving, kid-friendly pets?
    No matter how well trained, no matter how loving the owner, no matter how gentle the upbringing, a dog is a dog. You never know what sudden movement will scare the dog. You never know at what point the dog will get tired of having his ears and tail pulled. It may the the 10,000'th or it maybe the 10th.
    And yes, I like dogs. But I'm not blinded to the fact that they are still animals, not small people in fur coats.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have a pit, and he is the SWEETEST doggie in the world. If the dog has never been around kids, I would be a little skeptical, but that any dog not used to kids. PLEASE don't thnk just cause its a pit it's a fighter. I trust my dog with my daughters life. My dg is a ceritfied therepy dog. Does that make him trained? He will chase the cat on occasion, does that make him a bad dog? I would play the situation by ear and introduce slowly. AS WITH ANY DOG and use caution.

navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Any kind of dog can turn on someone. If you make a certain move, noise or touch them they way they don't like and they will turn, not just pits but I worry about them more.

Anonymous

• I have a pit and she is the best around kids. She is gentle with them and patient. My pit has had no official training just the things we have taught her. In fact, with how good she is when I take her out, people comment on her (all good). Some lady even changed her views on pits after waiting in a long line and getting to know my dog.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i just want to say... i had a yorkie its my parents now.. and that dog is the sweetest dog ever. He always knows when MY SON (who is 8 months old) is there.. we pull in the drive way and he looks out the window and he KNOWS. he waits by the door doing circles. He has never ever ever biten anyone and has grown up with my niece who is three... she has been known to pull him around by his neck and legs and never ever bite. My son will pull on his hair/beard on his face and just sit there and whine. He does everything he can to be with him. When he naps the dog naps right next toh im.. When my son is climbing Luke will run through the house and SNEAK a kiss and keep running cause heknows he will get yelled at. it is the cutest thing ever.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• HOWEVER i know all dogs arent like that. you will just have to see how the dog is with kids... but don't be too trusting until yu know forsure. I am on eperson that is afraid of pits and rots... iknow its all about how they are trained though but i know there is something in their genes. i watched a documetary about it before. But i know that a pit can be a sweet dog too. So its all your judgement whether or not you trust it with YOUR CHILD =)
    krazyash023