Does anyone have a child who did excellent in school one year & then not so good the next year?

Last year in second grade, my DD was above average in every subject. She did very well & i was so proud of her for being above average.

Well...this year is a whole different story. I would not say she is below average, but getting close to it. Her grades suck compared to last year. We do all our homework here at home, i just don't think she is getting the attention & dedication she deserves from her teacher.

I don't think she wants to take the time to really make sure her kids understand the curriculum. My DD says she'll teach them something, but if they don't understand it, the teacher says it's their fault for "not listening". My DD says she is listening, but doesn't always understand her. So, if my DD is having a hard time understanding something, she is too scared to tell the teacher & does not want to ask her for help. The teacher is not helpful at all when my DD really needs it.

I personally think her teacher sucks this year & is very lazy.

I have talked to the teacher countless times & she refused to take any responsibility for why my DD is not doing as good as she was last year. I know for sure, the principal will be getting a long pissed off email from me at the end of the school year. He will know ALL of my problems i have had with this teacher...

Anyone else experience something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have her tested for any learning disabilities - PUT THE REQUEST IN WRITING - A LETTER WITH A DATE - they HAVE to respond to the request with in so many days. What you have described isn't normal and could be as simple as a learning disability that hampers your daughter going from one teacher with one teaching style to another teacher and another teaching style.

Rule this out before you start saying the teacher sucks. And the principal should have been notified way before the end of the year as being told in a long end of the year letter does nothing to help your daughter, the teacher, the classroom, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• And yes, we had this with one of my older sons - turned out he has a learning disability - written expression.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• So, i have to go through the school for her to get tested for learning disabilities? I thought I'd have to go through her Dr. for some reason. But, i actually thought about that. She has a Dr. appointment in a few weeks, I'm going to ask her about it.

I have blind copied the principal many times when i email her teacher so that he knows about our communication & the complaints i have. But, i honestly think that just pissed off the teacher & i think she is almost picking on my DD because of my complaints. That is why I've deciding to wait until the end of the school year. I feel like she has resentment towards my DD because of my complaints.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If you sat with this woman for one minute, you would know where i am coming from. Her whole attitude seems like she just doesn't care. But, i am not ruling out the possibility of a learning disability at all...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They have 60 days to test if it is requested in writing, if you decide to.

As for emailing the principal, send a polite, detailed email to the principal and CC the teacher regarding the issues you are having. Be sure to list specific dates and concerns that you spoke to the teacher. If you remain polite, they will see you as a concerned parent rather than a parent that is trying to "place blame". Emailing the teacher and principal has always gotten my SD's teachers to reply to my DH :)

Good luck!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Sorry, was typing my response and didn't see your new ones...You CAN get your child tested privately, but it costs money..Also, the school is REQUIRED to wait 6 months from the time you have your child tested outside of the school before they can test her, and they cannot implement an IEP/504 until the SCHOOL tests her... Better to start within the school. We are going through that with my SD right now (she has ADHD).

Request a meeting with the principal and the teacher. Let the PRINCIPAL see her attitude. And bring up your concerns. If she continues to take it out on your daughter, then bring that up to the principal as well.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• At each grade up - the teachers expect more "responsibility" of the child. Preparing them for the next levels of life. While if asked the teacher should explain or offer after school help. When my son hit jr high he was a steady D- in one class; I knew homework was getting done.
    I would go sit in on the class if you can.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You can get your child tested independently - it will be done (should be done) by a Psychiatrist - but the school can still insist on doing the testing again and not take the independent testing. The school will do it free. Independent testing is expensive.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If you are aware of all that is being taught go over it with your child and make sure she understands it. Over the years my kids had good and bad teachers and we were diligent to make sure they understood the material when they had bad teachers. Sometimes we had meetings with the principals and usually got no where.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2011