How do I make an easy yet nice Easter Dinner?

This is going to be the first time I have ever hosted a family Easter dinner. I don't normally cook, ever, at all.... not really good at it. What are some dishes, recipes, foods everyone makes. Any and all tips and ideas are welcome please. Also one thing that is on the menu by request is turnip... I saw one in the store and thought to myself...how the heck does this get from this to the turnip I normally eat... help! I feel a disaster coming on. :)

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 8:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• LOL!!!! You are too much! The turnip gets cut up and boiled. I think you can buy it frozen too. (go for the frozen) My mom used to just serve it mashed with butter and salt & pepper.

I love ham for Easter and buy the spiral cut ones with the brown suger glaze included in the package. They should be on sale now or pretty soon. You could serve the ham, a salad, turnip, sweet potao casserole, and maybe one more veggie. Then something like key lime pie for dessert. There are a lot of easy recipes for that. Private message me if you'd like mine. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• bake a ham and make an easy potato casserole, and easy green bean casserole. You can buy some nice rolls or pie from a bakery.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Our local grocery store makes, turkey, ham, prime rib, and roasts that they will cook for you and it is not to expensive, you can have them do the rolls as well, and then make some side dishes to go along with it, if you are not comfortable with cooking, it may be easier to order the main course, and do the sides on your own,,just a thought, but I remember making my first turkey, and I left the gravy sack, and the neck bones in it, also didn't thaw it properly and we ended up having chineese,, LOL--just trying to save you some grief, then you can start with your own family and do trial and error, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My mom always made a spiral ham (comes with instructions and the glaze), mashed potatoes (instant is fine), vegetable (yes we had turnip!! cut, boil, mash, season with salt/pepper/butter to taste), dinner rolls and some sort of pie for dessert. Easy but yummy and everyone was happy!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ham,potato salad,deviled eggs,corn,dinner rolls..all very simple and easy!
    Another easy way..tell everyone its a potluck...to bring a dish..and you just go to honeyham and buy a precooked ham..ready to eat!! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Due to my Meniere's Disease I am not able to have a nice Easter Ham anymore ( to much salt ) so now I make a Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and vegs. and a jus gravy. I use a low sodium margarine in the potatoes and vegs. and I have to make a low-sodium gravy for myself.
    mlgrob57

Answer by mlgrob57 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You could call Boston Market if you have one near you!

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• POT ROAST!!!!! its yummy easy and can feed alot :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Buy a nice ham, put it in the oven according to the directions on the package. In a big bowl, mix a 2 lb bag of shredded hashbrowns, 2 cans of cream of whatever soup, 2 cups (give or take) sour cream, and a bunch of cheese (anywhere between 8 oz - 1 lb, cheddar, colby, jack, a mixture, whatever). Sitr together, grease a crock pot, dump it in, and cook for 4-6 hours on high. I have no idea how to cook turnips, I've never eaten them. Steam some corn in the microwave. Made a dessert the day before (or buy one, lol, but don't tell anyone it's not homemade).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We eat turnips raw, but you can cook them and mash them like potatoes.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011