Why do teenagers cut themselves?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I've been a cutter since I was 10 or 11, I'm nearly 30. Now as an adult I don't actually "cut" but instead I do things like bite my tongue. For me, it's simply a way to release stress... When the kids are screaming and I feel like I'm going to fall apart from the stress I can bite down and feel all of that stress melt away as the physical pain kicks in. When I was a teen I did cut, but I preferred needles and pins to cutting, it was easier to get away with. Physiologists usually say it's a way to physically control emotions, and although I don't have a PHD, I would have to agree. Internal pain is very difficult to deal with, it's hard to understand & hard to work through, physical pain is simple to understand and simple to manage. So turning one in to the other is the easiest way for many to deal. There isn't always "help" for stress or emotional issues - cutting works, even if it's not the best option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It's not just teenagers that cut themselves. It's usually manifesting a pain that people can't otherwise express.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• PEOPLE cut because they are in serious psychological pain and need help to overcome the cutting. It is NOT a fad, or because they think it's cool, it's because there is a problem that needs fixing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Its a sign of a serious underlying issue. They need therapy and to find out what or why they are depressed and feel the need to hurt themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i did it because it felt like i had something inside me and that was the only way to let it out. i fight the urge to this day, but thanks to therapy and medication i dont act on the urge (there are some days though that it is still hard)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Depression, or other psychological issues. They need professional help. It can not be done by a parent and child alone.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• A lot of times it a fad and peer pressure from the group their hanging with, other times its a call for help. Have you ever had a hurt inside your heart so bad that anything...anything would be better than coping with that kind of hurt. So alot of people cut in order to subside the pain/emotion inside. Once that release of pain technique is learned, its hard to break. Cutters usually dont commit suicide because they have found an effective release but none the less, it should be taken very seriously. Help should be established for that person so that they can learn positive ways to deal with peer pressure, acceptance, pain, disappointments, emotions with out self hurt. HUGS!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think it's because they have very deep emotional pain, and they believe that it will somehow be released if they see their own blood flowing out of their bodies. It's almost like they have this pressure that is built up inside of themselves, and they somehow believe they can relieve the pressure in this manner. It's really a cry for help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It's not only teenagers who do it. However, teenagers cut themselves to prove to themselves they can still feel something. As well it's a way of releasing the pain and depression they're dealing with. When they cut themselves it gives them a sense of relief and though it may be temporary it helps them deal with whatever they're going through. It should never be taken lightly, it should never be ignored. Whenever a child/adult is found to be a cutter it needs to be addressed and they need to seek help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• ...I almost always can tell when she's getting to that point. In fact about 4 or 5 days ago, luckily I saw it coming and was able to keep her from it- though it wasn't pretty, there were a lot of tears involved.

If you know someone who is a cutter, don't try to make them feel bad for it or make them feel guilty or belittle it- it will probably just make it worse. They need to know someone "gets" it you know? I would definitely suggest therapy to learn better ways of coping, and remember -it's a long road and it's not easy for them to stop
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2011