Books Vs. The Movie Adaptations - Which do you prefer?

A few answers to a question I recently asked got me thinking about this and I wanted to ask:
What do you prefer regarding book series' that have been turned into movies? Do you usually tend to enjoy the book more or the movie? Why?
For me, it's almost always the books, hands down. The only exceptions are The Vampire Diaries & True Blood. The Vampire Diaries books I did not like, but I LOVE the show. With True Blood, I love both the books and the show so it's an even playing field with that one.
Twilight - I prefer the books, but I always looked forward to watching the movies (even though Twilight the movie blows).
Harry Potter: Prefer the books, but the first 4 films were amazing. 5 & 6? Eh.... Part 1 of number 7 was, thankfully, AWESOME :) Really looking forward to the last part.
Anyway, I'm rambling...tell me what you like!

SpiffySnaps

Asked by SpiffySnaps at 9:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Entertainment

• I definitely prefer reading the book to watching the movie. Even if the movie is very close to the book, the little differences would drive me nuts. Still bugs the heck out of me that they didn't get the same breed of dog in the Tommyknocker movie that they had in the book...seriously, how hard is it to get a beagle?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 99% of the time I like the book better. There have been a few instances where I have liked the movie better. But usually I like the movie for different reasons than I liked the books.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would have to say that most of the time the book is better. It's not Twilight the movie's fault that it sucks....it's the actors.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• So sad, if i read the book first I dont want to see the movie.. Twilight.. WRECK of a movie but if i watch the movie first i wont read the book.

basically it depends which i get to first. If i see a movie I love I don't want the book to wreck it and I don't want a movie to wreck the book I love.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I always prefer the books to the movies. One example - My Sister's Keeper - they so screwed the original intent of the book with the ending of the movie. I hate hate hate the movie. I don't always watch the movies that have come out of books I've already read and completely enjoyed - but I will ALWAYS go back and read the original book if I find a movie came from a book. But I do agree with you on the True Blood series - they have done a good job at taking the characters of the book to the tv screen.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Book are pretty much always better than the movies/tv shows. I didnt like the vampire diaries books too much but love the show....never miss an episode! I loved the Sookie books more than the show...but I still really like the show. I agree with you about harry potter though. I was really dissapointed with the 6th movie but I guess pt.1 of 7 made up for it...it was pretty good! Never read twilight but the movies are ok....not my favorite though. lol
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The books are always better and always give you many more details. Movies from books always cut things out and quite often change whole dialog with characters.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I usually prefer the movie. For the simple reason that I don't read fiction. I nearly always read educational books. On the rare occation that I have read fiction, it tends to be a "classic" which they've already done movies of or something kinda twisted, not the stuff they turn in to movies. The stuff they make movies in to like Harry or Twilight, I wouldn't ever read. I simply don't have the time to waste on fiction now a days. So I go for the movie. Although I will say, I hope the Twilight books were better than the movies (which are HORRID) otherwise I'm not sure why they chose to make them in to movies in the first place.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I prefer the books too, BUT I have no visual imagination... never have. So I love to see movie adaptations to kind of give a "skin" to the people and places in the books.

I do prefer adaptations like the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice, which are almost word-for-word copies of the books. Though I understand many/most of the changes made, and why they were. I could argue most of them for Lord of the Rings, though I don't like all of them, I respect Peter Jackson's interpretations.

I watch a lot of adaptations. I love to flip back and forth, read-watch-read. So much fun! Other than adaptations and Dr Who/Star Trek (and I've read the print adaptation of those!), I don't like a lot of movies. Mostly watch reality TV like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs and Top Gear. I want to see Jane Eyre and see what they do and why and compare it to other Jane Eyres I've seen.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I always prefer the books, they ually leave out parts in the movies, although I do love the older Nicholas Sparks movies.
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 9:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011