Where will older siblings stay when in labor and no family around?

I am curious what you other moms out there have done when you have no place for your older children to go when the time comes to give birth.
I thought this would be the situation with me since my husband is in the military and we move often. However, a good friend of mine has parents that live about 5 miles away and they offered to watch our four year old son.
Without them I have no idea what we would have done...

enohp04

Asked by enohp04 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• All i can tell u hun is to start asking friends. Some day cares are 24/7 maybe u should look around and see if there is one in ur area.
    ladyjwitt

Answer by ladyjwitt at 9:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I feel like such a bad Mom for even admitting this.. We were stationed in Germany when my youngest was born, my oldest was 3 and DH was deployed.. In Germany, (or the hospital I was at) they don't allow other children in the room so my choices were either leave her with the orphanage for the time being or try to scramble and find someone willing to watch her.. I paid a woman that I had only met TWICE $100 and a really cool toddler girls bed to watch my daughter for one day and 2 nights then signed my butt out of the hospital asap!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Gosh I dont know, I would start looking for people who had in home daycare, and possibly they might be able to be on "call" for something like that, I am sure glad you got somebody!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• He should have been allowed to stay in the room with you, my niece was in with me, she faced the wall and made like a little tent ought where she played DS and watched her dvd's with headphones. Maybe some hospitals have an area where a nurse or take siblings if no family is around? Not sure never thought about that.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I had a friend down the street watch my older boy. Military wives are really good at helping out!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Is your husband home or overseas. my mother and father were both in the marines when my older sister was born my father was in japan and my mother was on base in california (shes from iowa hes from georgia) about 2 weeks b4 my mom was due she flew home to iowa so she could have the baby and have help.. if hes overseas at this time. try to get closer to home if not leave your child with a trustful person.
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I like children present for the labor & birth.
    But birth doulas are a great option.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have no idea. We are trying to work out some kind of shift thing with our friends to watch our three kids at our home while I'm in the hospital. We've got no family close and it is difficult to ask such a big thing from friends, especially those that have children. If I can't get decent commitments from friends (right now I'm getting, "If I'm available when you go into labor..." which isn't a definite plan.) I'll just have to hire someone to come hang with them.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have a babysitter that I used for my oldest son, so she was on call when for when I went into labor. I dropped my son off with her at 2 in the morning and it was no problem. She is the BesT!
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My parents live an hour away and I do not trucks my MIL so I have my boss and my husbands boss on stand by. It is a good thing we are close with our bosses.

I would start taking your kids over there for visits so that when it comes to the day he/she isn't scared.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011