Do you think shows of teen pregnancy (teen mom) glamorize being pregnant?

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 9:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think they do. It certainly gives young girls the idea they can get preggo and Mom will take care of the kid.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Hell no. I've only seen those a few times, but what I saw was NOT glamor!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not any of the episodes i saw.. in fact just the opposite. They were sad. Their family turned their back on them, boyfriends left, friends left, some had to put the baby up for adoption, others had no money and no where to live.. Not very glamorous. Not sure what teen pregnancy show it was, maybe 15 and pregnant or something like that.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not at all. The shows show a reality of the hardships that being a teen parent brings. The toll it takes on relationships both platonic and romantic, the tolls it takes on your lifestyle as a teenager. It shows teens the side of being a teen parent that a lot of people ignore and refuse to inform their teen of. Things that should be the first thing out of a person's mouth when warning against teen pregnancy and unprotected sex. I'm twenty six and when I watch that show I feel proud of myself for not getting myself into their situation.

The part specifically I like about it, is that it shows that the guy won't neccissarily stick around just because you're pregnant. That's important, because when these teens are "in love" they think he'll stick around if they get pregnant. It shows them the immaturity, the ignorance, and the naive nature that teenagers have and brings it to light.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No, I think it's a real look at the different ways teen pregnancy can affect a teen Mom. I think if teen girls are old enough to take on adult situations, then they are old enough to understand, when they see the show, that being a teen Mom isn't all it's cracked up to be..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i agree...but i dont think to many young girls watch. if they did then there wouldnt be so many.
    ladyjwitt

Answer by ladyjwitt at 9:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes, I do think they do in some instances... young girls that are looking for attention, young girls who have not been taught the appropriate way to receive attention.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think young girls may like the idea of "being on TV" but if you watch the show and see all of the pain that they go through I would say no, I was watching Dr. Drew the other night, and he claims that the show is keeping more girls from getting pregnant,, I am going to have to say if I was a teenager thinking about having a baby, after watching it, I would run and get BC as fast as I could!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My opinion is harsh and I get blasted for it, but Im going to stand by it as so far I have 3 children over the age of 20, educated, working, married and no teen pregnancies..so far (I still have one underage) but I feel like parents should be held accountable for underage pregnancies. If its considered statatory for over aged people to have sex with a minor then just because your underaged doesnt give you any more rights and parents should be held accountable for those actions. Parents are held accountable for their childrens actions on anything/everything else. Underaged sex with anther underaged person should be treated as crime just as if it were in reverse. Like I said...my opinion is harsh, but thats the way if feel. To answer your question...YES!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They get PAID to be on the show. There is an APPLICATION to be on the show. I have 'teen' friends on fb and one is a soph in highschool and prg and now that the father is no longer "with" her and she is going thru "drama" she AND her mother posted "We are going to put in an application for Teen Mom" REALLY???? Joking or not I get appalled at it.
    brypmom

Comment by brypmom (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011