How do I deal with constipation in children?

My son is now 6 and has only pooped maybe 3 times on his own since he was 2!..The doctors just say use laxatives..I have to give him laxatives from Friday morning til Sunday and if that doesnt do it I have to give him an enema...this is a weekly thing and can not be good for him and it is not a pleasant experience for either of us. I went to several doctors and they all recommend different laxatives and say he suffers from a fear of letting go..are u serious?

melsa30

Asked by melsa30 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• HIGH fiber diet
    nothing but water to drink

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Basically you need to make the stool so soft that he can't retain it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• probiotics

they are found in yogurt. if he eats yogurt it daily, i betcha he'll be regular. Laxatives make people dependent on them. The more you take them, the harder it is to poop without them. The fact that your Dr. has suggested that is ridiculous!

Tons of water, lots of fruits & veggies, less bread, meat & starches.

The yogurt should be a daily thing...the probiotics in it are necessary part of our digestion. Without those probiotics, we can have digestive problems like constipation.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Sounds like maybe he needs a dietary change. Have you tried a high fiber diet? Lots of fruits & veggies should help with that. If he is a picky eater, then start hiding veggies in the meals you fix. Carrot cake cupcakes, zucchini bread or cupcakes, etc. Apple juice & prune juice are both natural laxatives, apple juice the obvious preference with kids. LOL. Back off on the dairy for a while till you get him regulated. This is not to say cut it out altogether. But, cut it back some, especially cheese. It is a constipator. We had this issue with my granddaughter while she was in the custody of her bio-mom. Now that my DD & SIL have full custody, she is on a balanced diet & discovered to be lactose intolerant. Hope something in what I've suggested helps.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Fiber gummies worked well when my daughter was 6 but her situation was frequent constipation and was hurting her tummy.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Try different diets, such as the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Remove foods like potatoes, apples, dairy, from his diet. Up the vegetables and whole grains (not bread products, actual whole grains like BROWN rice, steel cut oats, quinoa) and beans, limit meat.

Be careful of going TOO high fibre if he's holding his bm's in. High fibre causes bulkier poops and that can create more pain when he finally can't hold it anymore. He's likely stretched his colon out so that he can't even really feel he has to go until his poops are too big.

While fixing the diet, use suppositories, even daily if you have to to get him to go.

They probably are serious about him being afraid of going. It's usually really painful for him, so who wouldn't be afraid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh, and now that my granddaughter is on a controlled diet (not all the pizza & McD's bio-mom fed her all the time) and off of most dairy (except the white cheeses) she is nice and regular. :-)
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son gets one benefiber tab every morning with his vitamins. It is the only thing that has helped... Good luck!
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• When my kids were small I would put mineral oil in their juice. It looks like water, has no taste or smell. I also used children's senokot with doc's permission.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 10:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• DH suffered from this when he was little, the problem now is your DS is dependent on laxatives,, he needs to see a specialist as anon suggested,, metamucil might help, but I think you need a different doctor, I find it really amazing that the doctor's you have seen think it okay for a small child to become laxative dependent,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2011