What do you think about Paul Ryan's plan for medicare changes?

Starting 10 years from now, in 2021, Americans would no longer enroll in the Medicare program, but instead receive vouchers for private insurance, according to the GOP sources, who stressed anyone 55 or older now would not be affected by the change.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/04/02/house.gop.budget/index.html

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 9:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope He gets a nasty condition and his medical coverage WONT pay for it! The guy is an ASS!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• What do I think? I think he has discussed this plan (various versions, similar concept) since at least 2008 that I have researched. I agree with the concept of reforming the current system and even the ideal of eliminating bureaucrats from being the "middle man" of healthcare. The idea that Medicare would pay citizens directly the equiv. of avg payment? Its a bold move that actually promotes Poorer and sicker people getting more. I even read it has the potential to even possibly open the pathway to some hollistic and non traditional preventative options of healthcare and gives the individual control over a one size must fit all government system. I think it is worth debating and worth opening dialogue and discussion of bold changes our system really needs.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• However, the biggest difference between his 2008 plan and this 2011 appears to be, IMO~ caving to the ideal of needing government regulations. Which actually limit possible choices and flexibility to the individual. I dont agree with giving the federal government more regulatory control. Healthcare options should be between the patient, family, and their DR. There is no need for a gov't middle man.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't believe ANYTHING these politicians say.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I am afraid it will leave poor seniors with no coverage really. If they have a voucher to pay for insurance but it only covers a percentage and grandma and grandpa cant pay the other part, thats the same as having no coverage.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Our HC system is based on profit. I doubt any reform that includes less profit and more comprehensive and affordable care for ANYONE, especially those most in need, will EVER come to fruition. HC is big business in the US. It's about making money, the HC part is inconsequential-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Republicans must lay off the cuts until after 2012, or we will lose in 2012.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• MBG makes a great point. R's better not eff with oldsters...they'll lose for sure-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• MBG, I think that is why they are entering into dialogue this early in the "political' calendar... Check the pulse of the plan/concept early to give time to tweak it later... jmo..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think something needs to happen or no one will be getting any help from any source. England has just implemented regulations that you must prove you worked at some job or no public assistance at all. How novel! If you can go work doing something to get paid by the state, you can work to earn a free and clear check without the state. Read the Federalist Paper #12. It discusses taxes, taxation, and why taxing people will never generate enough money to pay the bills of a country. Hamilton understood this then from the difficulties in Europe and the faltering of economies. Nothing has changed. Our nation has Prader Willi and will never be satisfied except only about 1% of the population is expected to support 100% of the population. It is doomed to fail. Is that what is wanted?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011