Have you ever done anything dumb as a parent that you beat yourself up about to the point of tears?

I don't know why, but for whatever reason I could have sworn I saw that it was supposed to be 70 degrees out today, so obviously I dressed my daughter and I expecting that. I put Hannah (5) in shorts, a tee, and her sweat jacket that she usually wears in the mornings. When I got out of the car at her school (I park my car in the garage at home) I noticed that it was a bit chilly, so I take her in to class then go and check the weather again. The high was only 59 today! Obviously I ran home and got my baby some pants and changed her, but still I feel terrible about it. I got to work and was bawling my eyes out trying to figure out how the heck I thought it would be so warm out. Anyway, there it is... DH thinks it is silly that I am so upset about it and am overreacting by crying... so I ask has anyone else ever done something dumb parenting wise and when you realized felt so terrible that you cried?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think there are times when certain things get to you. It shows that you care :)
    Once when my son was maybe two or three months old, I was running inside with the carseat (had to pee so bad!) and for whatever reason didn't set it on the floor - but on the couch instead. He must have been kicking like crazy because 45 seconds later when I came back out, the carseat was upside down on the floor! He was still strapped in and no part of him was squished or touching the floor, just upside down but I beat myself up for a looooooooooooooong time about that. I still feel bad thinking about it :(
    Whether they admit it or not, all parents have made some bad decisions when it comes to their children. Try not to get too upset about it!!
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Letting my 18 months old lock herself in the car! OMG that sucked! We stopped off to get some drinks at a gas station and I changed her diaper.. instead of putting her back in her chair I let her crawl around on the passenger seat, shut the door and went to walk around the other side. she hit the auto locks and had the keys in her hand!

to this day i still feel like an ass!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Using a carseat that DH was just in an accident with. I drove her to the store to get a new one and the carseat jammed, we had to get someone to cut her out :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes like the time my infant rolled off the bed while I went to grab some wipes. I felt so horrible.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Well of course you are overreacting, it's what us mommas tend to do when we realize that we are NOT perfect and cant' be. lol You laugh about them later
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• When my oldest was still a baby, I gave him a bath. I laid him in the middle of the bed and turned around to grab his diaper. He was still tiny so I didn't think he could kick so hard but he did and kicked himself right off the bed! The sight of my poor baby laying facedown on the floor naked made me cry for hours. I was holding him and we were both crying! With my second, I was clipping his nails and cut his fingertip. Another time I was crying with my baby. I didn't want to tell his dad because I thought he would get mad at me which was also pretty dumb because he wouldn't get mad at me for something like that.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• zoejaine - done thta myself! Also not making sure the carseat was securely tightened. We switched the seat to my friends car and as she rounded a corner.....tip and little one says UHOH I falled down. Although we laugh about it now all that day I kept thinking what if we had been in an accident.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We live in northern Wisconsin- 59 degrees is a heat wave to us!! Dd will be fine in shorts and a sweater:) don't worry about it- she's not going to be 25 years old and remember the day you pit her in shorts rather than pants.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• everything that you ladys are talking about i have done as well my son fell of the bed a couple of times and i didnt strap his car seat down cause we are always moving it from one car to the next.but now that he is 5 i feel bad when i have to punish him when he gets in trouble
    jtaylor03

Answer by jtaylor03 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Absolutely, probably many things. And no doubt I will do more. Perfect parent I'm not.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2011