What do Americans prefer to fix the deficit? Cut on Services OR Higher Taxes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I could like Sabrina's answer a million times. It's exactly what I was going to say, only she probably said it more eloquently :)
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 10:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Honestly, I would prefer neither. I would prefer some common sense out of our government! Cut the "extras" that have nothing to do with our country but that our tax dollars are paying for - Parking, new furniture, daily private photographers, higher and higher pay rates, expensive lunches and "business dinners" and so on and so forth - Give me ONE DAY, the spending and salary reports from our government and I cut more than they are with all these new budget cuts! Each year the members of our government are wasting MILLIONS of dollars on every day items. Last year alone PA residents paid over $14K in parking fees for 6 people... Make them pay for their own parking - like You and I do - and that right there cut's $700K+ over the whole country...

I don't want services cut - I want NEEDLESS SPENDING by elected officials & their offices cut!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree with Anon. There is no good answer. I think the best thing would be to increase taxes by, at least, not extending tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, and by closing loopholes so gigantic corporations like GE actually pay thier fair share. I'd work on the tax structure so we can see exactly how much money we have to spend before we start cutting programs but i understand that some programs will have to take a hit.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Honestly, we need to raise the tax rate on the rich and quit giving tax incentives to big businesses if they are on their feet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Second - I was a FLAT TAX with equal deductions for EVERYONE! I don't care if you make $20K a year or $2Mil a year... Flat 10% tax with equal dedication opportunities is going to 1.) ease the proper preparation of taxes 2.) create a higher tax income from those who make more while keeping people fair for everyone 3.) not break the "lower classes" by forcing them to pay more taxes than they can.

Build deductions around the lower income levels and independent business owners and give everyone equal rights to them. There is no reason that low income families get to deduct dependents or get EIC and then we deny it from those who are making higher amounts.

Build a flat tax rate around those who are earning higher amounts. And keep them the same for everyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• At this point I don't feel like there is a good answer. No one can afford to have any more services cut or to pay higher taxes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think its hard to pay for something(bills) thats not ours personally. The moneys in government are mis-aproperaited and over exhagerated. The actual things government sets aside that help the people that need help- cant get help and when they do- government makes it impossible to use it properly as a crutch as its suppose to be set up as. IDK, I personally would like to know that if Im paying the bill..it actually gets paid and paying just exactually what its being said Im paying for. Thats not always the case in government and the money gets spent however and we, the people, still owe the bill. Its messed up.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree with both of sabrina's answers. :) I also think we need to look at programs that dupicate services. Like freshwater fish we eat is regulated by one agency and saltwater fish is regulated by another. Combine them and cut one. Or planned parenthood and the health department combine then cut. Too many overlaping agencies.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'd prefer neither also.....but I have worked for the govt at many military installations - and so many ppl just don't NEED to be there. I have worked for state funded not for profit agencies and honestly the job(s) i did were jobs my immed supervisor COULD have been doing - filing, data entry. The position I was in was 25 hrs a week. I'd be done in 10 and be told, get on the internet we have to have you here or we loose our budget. TRULY??? I turned my notice in....I think they (someone) needs to go into each agency and deeply evaluate who is doing what and where they can combine forces. Our state has 19 DIF programs for developmental disabilities....wouldn't it be beneficial to combine them??? Not saying eliminate the CARE or number of HOMES provided...but really 19 directors with the same goal in mind? 19 CFOS? Things like that.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Lower the services people get
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011