Has anyone had a colposcopy?

I am scheduled to have a colposcopy after an abnormal pap on December 31- should I hold off on my new years plans? How painful is it and what was it like for you?

Thanks,
Dani

PS- Dec 30- uterus, cervix, and ovary ultrasound in deeper view
Dec 31- colposcopy and guardisil

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 8:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Health

• I had one due to an abnormal pap smear during my pregnancy. It was uncomfortable, but not too bad. The doctor will swab your cervix with a solution that shows what cells are abnormal, then scrape a few of them for further testing. It takes less than 15 minutes in all. Because I was pregnant and my cervix more likely to bleed, the doctor put medicine on the area after the cells were scraped to stop the bleeding. I was fine. You shouldn't have to cancel any plans, but the doctor can tell you if you may need to wear a pantiliner or pad just in case you bleed a little bit afterwards.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 9:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It's not that big of a deal. I mean, I have a pretty good threshold for pain, but still... we're all moms so I can tell you that after a baby it's NOTHING. You MAY be a little uncomfortable for a couple hrs. Grab some guilty pleasure fast food (for me: Chik-Fil-A), go home, eat and take a nap. When you wake up if you don't feel back to normal... then watch a chick flick, eat some holiday cookies and sack out early. You'll be fine the next day. Not a biggie....
    Anonymous

• You will be sore that day.....Iv had like 50 of them!!! anyway just take some pain releiver b4 you go in and a little bit after and you should be ok for new years!! good luck hope all is ok!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I had one because my doctor was overly cautious (that's a good thing!). Turns out I just had hemmorhoids from starting a spinning class and the bike seat and my butt did not get along. ANYWAY - as far as the procedure goes, really it was nothing. The prep was the worst part of it. One piece of advice - GET SUPER SOFT TOILET PAPER!! I'm goofy and I counted the number of times I went to the bathroom and it was something like 32. They really clean you out. But it wasn't even the continuous going that was horrible, it was the wiping. Sorry if this is TMI - but I wish someone had told me how much that would hurt. I got Tucks pads after the fact to help soothe down there. I was a little groggy after the procedure itself, and had gas (they said that'd happen b/c of the air that gets trapped in there during the procedure), but I was totally fine. It didn't hurt one bit and I wasn't sore at all after. Hope that helps.
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Everyone is different and has a different tolerance for pain. I've had this procedure and found that they needed to do a leep procedure. Neither one was too bad for me, but I have a high pain tolerance. I didn't even use anything during labor - not even lamaze and I don't think the pain was as bad as what I had been told. After my colposcopy, I spent the rest of the day relaxing by doctor's orders, but it was hard because I had no pain and I'm not one to just sit and do nothing. The next day, I went to work with no issues whatsoever. So, it all depends on your tolerance of pain and the way your body reacts to it. I was lucky, I guess. My SIL had one done and you'd swear she was going to die afterwards.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I've had one--twice. One was with a biopsy. It doesn't hurt. I felt nothing.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2008