breast feeding

i know you are not suppose to smoke while pregnant or breastfeeding and i quit cold turkey as soon as i found out i was pregnant,my best friend however is still smoking at 8 months,plans to breast feed and has no intetions of quitting smoking, i am not judging her but i am cncerned how unsafe is breastfeeding and smoking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've read that it just makes the milk taste funny ... I wonder how they did the study on that? I think it's much worse to smoke while preggo than to smoke while BF. Congrats on quitting. I quit cold turkey a month before I got pregnant and my son is now four months old. I know how hard it is so good for you!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Did you know it is healthier to smoke and breastfeed than to not smoke and formula feed. Thats how disgusting formula is. Would you rather her FF? It's really no concern of your and certainly not your place to get on CM and judge/discuss her personal decisions with others. Maybe she just isn't as strong as you.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i didnt breastfeed, and my kids are healthy, never had any issuse. dont judge and dont bash, oh yeah i smoked while i was pregnant too. i bet im going to hell
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Wow, she wasn't bashing anyone, just saying she was concerned!

It's a shame that your friend couldn't put her baby first, I hope the little one comes out ok!

As far as your question goes, breastfeeding while smoking is not as bad as smoking while pregnant, but still isn't a good idea. Apparently it's still better than using formula, though I wouldn't be surprised if that stance on that changes very soon.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• smoking is bad for you even if your not pregnant.i stopped smoking after i found out i was pregnant yes every once in a while i would have a cigarette depending on how stressed i was but that soon stopped after a while i just didnt even smoke one then.i felt bad when i did.she wasnt bashing on her friend maybe she was just trying to get appinions to help her friends stop smoking while she was breast feeding or just wanted to see how bad it was for her friends baby because she cares.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• In no way do I feel you are bashing or judging anyone. It's a normal question to ask. I don't know the effects but smoking in general is bad. I don't know very many people that breast feed. And if its that she isn't strong enough to quit smoking, chances are, she won't be strong enough to breast feed. It's hard and it hurts. It takes a lot of work and patience. Congrats to you for quitting. Not only should she quit because she is pregnant....she should quit because she is going to have a baby and babies need their moms. Those who smoke are much likely to get cancer and other terminal diseases. My mother smokes and she has cancer all over her body and I have no sympathy for her. I used to but she gives it no attempt to quit. It isn't that hard. You just say no, I won't do this. She has me (25), two sons (27, 3) and another daughter who is 5. She adopted the younger children! They need her.
    Anonymous

• anon, breastfeeding is not hard and if you are doing it right, it should'nt hurt.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• thanks everyone..I'm not bashing or judging her...I know how hard it it to quit and I still crave a ciggarett every now and then, like i said I'm only concerned and wanted some advice. Thanks to everyone that offered NICE advice and to everyone else if you don't like someones question just ignore it theres no need to be rude!
    Anonymous