Why do people say that not everyone has opportunity for educating themselves?

We all have access to public school systems in our communities, we all have access to public transportation, what is the problem with empowering yourselves with education to go out and get better jobs? We all have colleges and universities around us, and obviously, if you are reading this you have a little free time and computer access, so why not an online degree? What about classes for continuing education to learn a specific trade?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 9:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Because some folks can't afford it and don't qualify for grants.

Anonymous

• I couldn't afford it either. that is why there are such a thing as STUDENT LOANS! I am so tired of the excuses.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't like the arguement posed by Anon 8:11. There are student loans. I personally have a crap load from my graduate degree that I received while working full time. I worked full-time through undergrad. I think most people who believe they don't have access to education just don't realize it's possible. My husband wasn't raised to think he could go to school so he didn't until muuuuuch later... I have a friend who literally grew up in the projects and often didn't have electricity b/c it was cut off..same with water... anyway - he's computer engineer now. If he can get an education anyone can.
    Anonymous

• Ok, this is an excellent question. I dropped out of hghschool 7 years ago. I have been working towards my GED for the last year. The thing that has stopped me in the past is that I did not and still do not have the $75 to pay for the testing. Up until my oldest went to school our income was to much for state help on the cost of testing. Now with my SO loosing his job the headstart my DD goes to will help me pay the $75. Thanks to the great program through the headstart i am now scheduled to take the test this month. But it took me becoming extremely poor to get there.

My point in all this rambling is that not everyone has to intial cash to get things in order or a way to get help. Somestimes people cant get the financial aid once they they need start college(very few poeple but stil some). I'm not making excuses but I know its hard to redo and make up for your past sometimes.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• WOW anon....
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• How the fk did this turn into welfare? Who said anything about that 918? You're an idiot!
    Anonymous

• Because not everyone can afford to go to college - even just one class at a time. In my area, where the cost of living is not as expensive as in other parts of the country, one college class is 2,400 and that includes books. But if you are a single mom with a only a high school degree, working to provide food and a roof over your child's head, then there is no way that can happen. And I live where college is considered cheap. Grants are difficult to come by. In the last eight years the amount of grants and loans made available by our federal government has decreased by a little over half.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Sorry, I have said this before -- NOT everyone has public transportation. Why do you keep assuming this?

Also, NOT everyone qualifies for student loans! Even if you get a student loan it doesn't cover everything!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• anon 9:17. there are a million scholarships available to people AND financial aid AND student loans. Federal student loans are very low interest and some you don't have to pay back for a few years...which is for a reason. Getting educated will help you get a better JOB, and then you can slowly pay back the loans. some jobs will even help pay for continuing education, which helps a promotion...and so on...get the picture?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Anywho, why do you care so much what someone else does? Worry about yourself and live your own life. Better yet, GET ONE!
    Anonymous