Tips???

I want to breast feed my daughter and I have tried with my first 2 and failed. But I really want to with this baby. I dont want her to have a bottle at all for the first 6m at least i guess thats call excluesive(SP?)? but Do you guys have any tips she will be here at the end of the month and I need all the help I can get.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Be persistent, patient, and have a positive attitude. Try different positions too, some moms thing the football hold is easier to start with and some like the cradle hold. Also, after your baby is born but while you are still in the hospital ask if there is a lactation consultant that can come in and help you. Most hospitals have one. Don't be afraid to break your baby's latch and restart if you don't like the way s/he is latched on, and remember to relax. Good luck!! And Congrats too!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• When you go to the hospital for delivery, make you sure you tell EVERY doctor and nurse that comes in the room that you are going to be breastfeeding, so not to give her a bottle or pacifier. As soon as she is born (if vaginally), put her on the boob asap to let your body know to start production. If she's born C-section, you might have to wait up to an hour, but as soon as they give her to you, put her on the boob. After that, I think you're supposed to keep on feeding her about every 2 hours. She'll let you know when she's hungry but don't go any longer than 4 hrs without feeding in the first couple of days, to help your milk come in.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Oh I will be having her by c-sec so will it be harder to start like will they give her a bottle if she gets hungry before they let me see her? I remember it took them like 1hr to bring my daughter to me and by then they had already given her a bottle.
    Anonymous

• the thing ive heard is the first two wks are the toughest and you have to be persistant about it. If you think about it back in the day there were no bottles and the babies had to be breastfed. The baby may not get it right away but it takes pateince and practice on both the mothers and babys part. Oh totaly agree with above poster about telling ALL dr's nurses not to give bottle to new baby
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 9:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Work with a lactation consultant. They can be a huge help in getting things started off right. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I totally agree with the first poster. Patience, persistence, and keeping a postive attitude about it will help you. If they (the hospital) asks if you want to have a lacation consultant come a for a visit to your home, TAKE THEM UP ON IT! The one they sent to me with my DD was a miracle worker. She helped me get her latched on so it wasn't hurting anymore. I was already sore just becasue we were only a couple days into it and she helped me big time and answered all my questions too. Plus, I was more comfortable about speaking to her cause I was in the privacy of my own home. Oh and make sure you tell the nurses and docs that you plan to breastfeed ahead of time so they dont shove a bottle in your babies mouth.

It is really worth it to breastfeed. I wish you the best!!!!!! =)
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 9:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Ok, since you're having her C-section, MAKE SURE to tell them do NOT give her a bottle! This can cause nipple confusion, and may wind up making her take the bottle before the breast. I've heard of some women getting their babies within 15 min of C-section birth. Talk to your doctors and nurses when you're going in to deliver, and make sure they know not to give her a paci or bottle. Threaten them with a lawsuit if you have to! lol jk
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Find some resources NOW to help you once she's here, whether it be the consultants at your hospital or with a league. Make sure they know when you arrive that you want to breastfeed, but, most importantly, DON'T STRESS ABOUT IT! That will only make it harder, and some things are out of your control.

My son had to go to the special care nursery after he was born, and I couldn't walk for several hours, so he had to have an ounce or two of formula. They asked my permission first, and I obviously wasn't going to let my baby starve! When I was finally able to go feed him myself, he latched on right away. It took a week or two to really master it, but we're doing great!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Cont.

The only formula my son has ever had was that first time. I introduced a bottle at three weeks, since I was getting ready to go back to work, which was a little tough at first, but at three months he's a total pro at going between the two. I feed him from the breast whenever we're home together and he gets expressed milk when I'm not with him, or when we're out in public (my pump has a car charger, it's SO handy). It was also nice to be able to let someone else feed him so they could share that bond. My husband almost cried the first time he got to feed his son!

While you don't want to introduce a bottle TOO early, don't wait too long, either, or you may be the only one who can feed your baby. When my cousin had to go back to work, her husband had to bring the baby to her and she had to use her breaks to nurse, as he completely refused the bottle: she had waited too long.

Good luck! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• im no help to you but im sure that you could ask some one at the hospital to help you.sorry.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 11:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008