Automatically a HERO?

Our military is full of heros. However, are all military personnel heros? Does just being in the military constitute the title of hero no matter how they entered, what job they do, whether or not they set foot on any "enemy" soil?

My father was drafted in 1968 due to the Vietnam War. He didn't want to be there, so he did next to nothing in Basic and he made is clear that if he was put into battle, he would be a hindrance and would end up putting the men in danger...he ended up being a cook (not that there is anything wrong with that), but he spent most of his time in NJ, with Germany being the only foreign soil he saw.

My brother joined the Navy shortly after 9/11. Not because he wanted to defend and fight, but because he was unemployed and soon to be homeless and he didn't know what else to do. He made sure he had a job that would not see battle...and he didn't. Anytime I talked to him through his 6 years of service, all he did was complain about how much he hated it and how young and stupid the other "kids" were.

I do not see those as being a hero, but as soon as anyone hears they "served their country," they are automatically praised and called a hero.

So back to my question...Do you consider all military personnel heros?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you are absolutely correct. Hero status has to be earned.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Joining=bravery

The hero part is earned
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Just enlisting does not get anyone hero status IMO, but I do appreciate their service.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My husband is in the Army, but I don't think anyone is automatically anything. You have to earn it.

SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 10:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• no matter the reason, selfish or financial or otherwise, if someone CHOOSES to serve in the military, yes, they are a hero to me. and if you CHOOSE to serve in any military capacity, you'd better be prepared to stand by your promise. the military, nor our country, needs men/women who don't want to be there.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Having been in the Army I will give respect to MOST service members, current and past, but I DON'T think they're all automatically a hero. My friend also joined the army and was raped by a fellow service member while stationed in Korea. I would much rather strangle that person that raped my friend, not call them a hero.

So, no, not every service member is a hero in my book.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No, a profession does not automatically make anyone a hero-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I guess that also goes along with cops who are automatically considered heros because they have a badge and a gun. Having been in the Marines, I know the long hours, hard manual work, time away from families, dangers and isolation. Serving your country doesn't automatically make you a hero, but there is a certain sense of patriotism that isn't expressed by non military. As you said, being a cook isn't a bad thing, but a necessary thing so that other can fight the battles. I do respect my military personnel. Hero? Not sure.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 1:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I hate the word hero. I think it gets used waaaaaay to often. It seems like anytime someone does a good job they are called a hero.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No, joining the military does not automatically make someone a hero. I agree with you.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 3:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011