I went with my husband to the doctor this morning and his tsa level is 6.25.

He has had 2 heart attacks.(light ones, but nevertheless, they were heart attacks. ) He is on a lot of medication and his creactinine level was 2.50 , hemoglobin level a little low, and some more levels that were low pointing to kidney disfunction. I am worried. His Cholesterol and heart related things were fine. Blood pressure 140/80. Just that TSH thing. The doctor wanted to put him on medication and wait 3 months to see if it were down but that did not satisfy me. He said he could send him for a biopsy now if it was going to bother ME that much. So that is what we're doing. Was I wrong in insisting on this. It may be just an infection- then again- three months is a long time in case it would be something serious Any input on this.? He is only 64 and I cannot imagine mylife without him. We have been married 40 years. Chantilly

chantilly688

Asked by chantilly688 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• I hate to say it but even with the biopsy, something can still go wrong. What did your HUSBAND want to do? The final decision should have been his to make. With diet and exercise your husband can bring down all those issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i would talk to hubs about it.. see how he feels and go from there
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• His tsh was 6.25? I would skip the biopsy and take the meds that isn't that high. Mine was over 10 when I was 40. They had it down to a 2.3 within 6 weeks. I would have his doctor check his Free T4 and Free T3 levels though if he didn't do that or if he only did t3 and t4 levels. Those give more accurate readings of thyroid function. Also have him check his thyroid antibodies.
    As for the creactinine level, that should be monitored by a nephrologist. By my calculations, he is in stage 4 kidney disease. Did he say what his gfr was? Basing on what I know, him being a 64 yr old male with a 2.50 creatinine level (blood serum I assume) and I used that he is white, I calculated his gfr at 26. Stage 4 range is 15-29.
    I am only familiar with this because I have been in Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease for 2 years now.
    My gfr is 34.
    I would focus on getting his kidneys checked than worry over a thyroid biopsy.
    Good luck!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 5:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011