Would this bother you?

My mother was doing laundry tonight and my two year old daughter wanted to help. I asked my mother to give her a few small things to put in the dyer and she responded with "I dont know if her hands are clean" WTF is that, she two and the clothes are going in the dryer. That woman drives me nuts, would you be annoyed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• yes that would bother me i guess iv never thought to wash my hands before doing my laundry your mother sounds anal!! lol
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, probably because I know my mother wouldn't care even if my DD had filthy hands. She's not going to hurt anything!

Or...she could've gone to wash her hands then let her help her. Just a thought!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 9:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• No, i would just look at her hands and make sure she didn't have any food or anything sticky on them that could get on the clean clothes. I understand your moms concern.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Weird!! If it makes the baby happy, let her do it!! My sister would always be followed by her daughter when she was about 1 or 2. She could never get any cleaning done. So my sister went out and bought her her own mini vaccuum and cleaning set so she could "clean" on her own. Sorry, it's not exactly the same situation, but similar. Your MIL needs to chill.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• the way she stated the question would drive me nuts! if she had said something like "are your hands clean" to the child and let the child answer her then thats a different story, at least with that question it helps the child learn when you touch clothes coming out of the washer you should have clean hands. the other question teaches her nothing except to be petty and unobservant.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 9:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would not let it bother me if it came from my mother, cause I could shrug off something my mother would say, but if it was a friend or my annoying Aunt than it would.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I guess I can understand the concern about a 2 yr olds hands - they are nasty a lot of the time! However she could have handled it differently and told your baby "let's wash our hands and you can help me".
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• just wash the child's hands and let her put the laundry in. My mom used to walk around with a wet wash rag every time my kids came over. She'd get their hands then go behind them and wipe her furniture down to remove fingerprints. It was awful. I finally quit going to visit unless I had to go.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I let my now 3 yr old help all she wants. I forget to check her hands sometimes but I think anytime a child wants to help with those things, let them cause all too soon they're going to be hiding at chore time.
    I would've just said "well I don't know either, I'll go wash them if you'd like the help"
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think it's a bit extreme, the worst that could happen is she might have to rewash something if she had food on her hands! My LO (16 months) likes to "help" do laundry, I give him a small piece or two to "fold" while I get the rest done. If he gets it dirty I rewash it. My Mother is the same way, she lets them do things and if it makes a mess we clean it up. I think people who are this obsessed about cleanliness miss out a lot on fun with children.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2008