Why do people continue to breed knowing the dire straits our shelters and rescues are in?

I am truly amazed!!! Are people just that ignorant? Do they think they will not affect those that die everyday?

pitbull4me

Asked by pitbull4me at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pets

• It makes me sad, we have 4 rescues. I WILL say, though, there ARE some responsible breeders out there who help out with rescue placement and such. They just truly love a breed of dog.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I wonder the same thing. It amazes me. All of my dogs have came from the pound or rescue and they are just as good if not better than a pure breed dog. I have had my pure bred, papered dogs and I would rather save a life and go to the shelter or rescue. I think they should make everyone get their dogs fixed!
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Breeders breed for profit and lineage. People who do not plan to bread and do not fix their pets is the problem. Like you can't keep stupid ppl from breeding themselves you are fighting an uphill battle
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My point is, you can find purebred dogs in shelters and rescues. I know that their are responsible breeders, few and far between. I have some friends from my showing days that show, breed and rescue. They also have dogs that are therapy dogs and that are doing what their breed was bred to do.

I have a rescue and a shelter dog now, but I have had dogs that I have purchased from breeders. I am not telling anyone to that they are awful by purchasing from a breeder. Just that not everyone should breed. I have met those who would NEVER rescue a dog!!! Idiots
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 9:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• There are no responsible breeders right now. I am a former breeder of APBTs, I stopped my breeding when overpopulation become a problem. Why breed or buy while perfectly fine shelter pets die?
    "Breeders" need to focus on the problem at hand... not add to it.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 9:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You definantly don't make profit when you are a good breeder. And when you are a good breeder thats the furthest thing from your mind. Responsible breeders breed for breed perfection, health, temperament. Not profit. I've been in the breeders circle for quite some time now and I've seen both types... right now neither are doing any good. There in no way that you can 100% be sure of none of the puppies ending up on the streets or being bred to death, unless you kept all of them yourself. Cooper, my American Pit Bull Terrier is from my last litter.
    I've seen it too much... people just shouldn't be breeding dogs right now. Period.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 10:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yea but there are responsible breeders and backyard breeders. Responsible and ethical breeders breed to IMPROVE the breed, to better it.
    backyard breeders do it ..well because they think puppies are cute, they want to make a profit,, they want a puppy "just like the one we have", etc etc..
    Responsible breeders barely break even when you figure in the amount of care they put into their animals (vet care for both stud, bitch and the puppies, 1st vaccs, wormings, prenatal care), training for the showring, high quality food, etc.
    So I understand their motive. If you are not trying to improve the breed, you need to spay and nueter. They are way too many animals dying.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It's true, responsible breeders do not make money -- but they love the breed.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I got my dog as a gift from a breeder for helping him when his dog got very ill. His profit from breeding...$100...so he bought his girl a nice collar. He bred her once...he's done. Shay gets spayed in January.

He showed my husband this article he got giving to him about this dog fighting ring down the street from my house. They breed about 3 bitches, every heat cycle. He said he cannot imagine how messed up their bodies are. If backyard breeders truly cared about their dogs they wouldn't be breeding.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I BREED MY STUD CHIHUAHUA YES I LIKE THE MONEY AND WHY NOT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE FEMALES OUT THERE FOR HIM I ALSO BOUGHT A FEMALE CHIHUAHUA FOR HIM TO BREED WITH FOR ONLY 2X ! I WOULD NOT GET A DOG FROM A SHELTER I WOULD NOT WANT A DOG THAT WAS OLDER AND I HAD NO HISTORY OF IT'S PAST AND HOW SAFE IT WOULD BE AROUND MY CHILD ! I WOULD SAY THE MONEY IS OK BUT ALSO THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO WANT BREED DOGS !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008