What age do babies usually start talking (momma, da da) and walking?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Language development starts at birth, and progresses to babbling, and then sounds (mama, dada, baba) Typically these are not real words yet, they're sounds that are very easy for the mouth to form so baby repeats them constantly. Actual intelligible words with correct meaning begin to appear around 18 months or so, with about a 50 minimum vocabulary and 2-3 word sentences by 2. At this point is when language truly takes off and most children make huge leaps and bounds in very short time periods. However, your 6 month old may be able to say ball, and point to a ball, especially if they have a very strong interest in the object. My son could say kitty and car at 7 months, but that was it until he developed better language skills around a year old. Most children learn to walk between 10-12 months, some much earlier some much later and all considered normal. By 2 your child should def. be walking and saying at least 10-50 words.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My daughter walked at 10 1/2 months and talking good about a year
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My kids started saying mama and dada (and in the case of my middle child - "shoe" lol) at about 8 months old. My first one walked at about 13 months which is actually late and then my other 2 walked much earlier. One at 10 months and the other at 9, but I think it has to do with having siblings...you see them do it and you want to do it, too. Plus, I had more kids so they had to start learning how to fend for themselves in some ways when mommy just couldn't get to 'em fast enough lol
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It will vary from child to child. My oldest walked at 6months, my middle son was almost 9mos... I don't remember when they first spoke, but I'm sure that was just as varied.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son spoke at 7 months, walked at 14 months. So, anywhere from 6 months to 2 years is accurate.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My three kids said their first word around 6 months all three said "mama" then "dada" shortly after. The average age for walking is 12 months but babies can walk as early as eight months or as late as 15 months.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It depends on what you're going to call talking. If you child points to a dog and makes the same noise every time they see a dog that is to be considered a word, even though you're the only one that knows what your child is saying. Actual words that anyone can understand don't usually happen until around 2.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2011