How to organize an apt without it costing alot

I need to get organized. I can never find anything and I am hindered by the fact i live in an apt so my shelves i had from my old place can't be put in the closets. I see all the time the cute collapsible totes and such but we are on extremely tight budget and most are expensive. How can i get organized without breaking the bank? I have thrown out and donated most all but the necessities but with a six person family and 4 of them under the age of 7 there is still alot.

wowguildmomma

Asked by wowguildmomma at 10:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Go to your local Home Depot/Lowes/equivalent and look for the wire shelving. Looks like this they will cut it to your specified sized there in the store, and then mount it on your walls. We have it in our kitchen for some extra shelving. I'm thinking of addin more in the kids' closets and maybe elsewhere in our apt.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Go to various stores in your area and cruise their clearance items.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• check out Ikea - they have great ideas for small spaces
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Not too cute, but clear plastic shoe boxes hold lots of stuff. Usually around $1 or search yard sales for them.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I use egg cartons to store jewelry, safety pins, small items.

Use the top lid portion as drawer dividers for socks, undies and other things.
    sendcheer

Answer by sendcheer at 2:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• go to target wallmart or kmart you can get these clear plastic dressers. around 40 dollars or under I think ours were 30ish range and you don't need to buy them all at once. not sure the name but they come in small and medium and large size drawers. it's great I have two in the bathroom one for my make up lotions and perfumes and hair products the other for meds and sun screen and tynole and stuff like that the best part is you can see what's inside. we also have one each fort hubby and I use for our dresser and I use a smaller one for socks and undies. for the living room target has these book shelfs that are square shaped for around 100 dollars and you can put in these mesh baskets. looks great too under our tv that's mounted on the wall.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Bins are great for organizing and a lot of times you can find them pretty cheap if you just look around.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Walmart has great canvas bins!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011