SEVERE water retention overnight!!!

Ok, so I haven't really had any water retention until now, and I'm officially freaked out. I'm 22 weeks, 1 day pregnant, and last night I looked down and my ankles were HUGE. I'm not a big person - only 130lb and 5'6 when I got pregnant - and I've gained about 35lbs so far. The water retention is officially starting to show in my face, calves, and ankles. I'm trying to lay of the sodium, though I'm not really taking in any more than I was before I was pregnant. Does anyone have any safe solutions to reducing the swelling? I feel so ugly..

lauren_rankins

Asked by lauren_rankins at 10:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• hmmm..I do think its odd that it happened while you were sleeping as I thought if you were laying down it would ease it...possibly toxemia?
    melsa30

Answer by melsa30 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• sorry i read that wrong...if you were on your feet alot that day then it may be nothing but you should still be aware of toxemia..sit in a recliner with your feet up.
    melsa30

Answer by melsa30 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would check your blood pressure. (If you don't have a blood pressure cuff, you can go to the pharmacy or somewhere with one of those machine you sit at or you can swing by the fire department and have them check it.) If it is fine, I'd assume it is fluid retention. Eliminating sodium won't fix the problem. You'll want to drink a ton of water. (We're talk a liter and a half to two liters.) It sounds counter-intuitive, but it helps a lot! You can also add lemon to the water to work as a diuretic to help get the excess fluid off. Elevating your legs will help, but if you do nothing but sit all day, it'll only get worse. (You need those leg muscles to get the fluid back out of your legs.) So, you may want to take it easy, but also add a casual walk somewhere in there. And, of course, when you are sitting with your legs up, don't cross them. Taking a warm bath with Epsom salt can also help the swelling.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i personally would call my doctor if i started swelling that fast, good luck hope the swelling goes down!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I have a call in for my OB-GYN, but his office is closed on the weekends. I'm a full-time waitress, so I definitely do not sit around all day. I looked up the symptoms for toxemia/preeclampsia, and apparently my current swelling is relatively normal, especially since my doctor said my pregnancy is ideal thus far (blood pressure, blood work,, measurements, etc). It's just upsetting, because I've always dreaded becoming that pregnant girl that's swollen and overweight and looks like she doesn't care about herself or her baby.
    lauren_rankins

Comment by lauren_rankins (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011