What do you think of unique name spellings?

I am a fan of classic names spelled classically. I am not a fan of taking a name and mangling it.

I knew some kids named AirRick and HeyLee. They were ten year old twins and they HATED the way their names were spelled. I have seen Joseph spelled Joesuf, Nathan spelled Naethyn, Sarah spelled Sera, and even a Bethany spelled Bethyni.

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Baby Names

• There are so many other ways to be unique, giving your kid a name that is spelled wrong, is just going to mad them mad, having to repeat the spelling to everyone. Dumb spellings are annoying and gives the impression that the parents are uneducated.

Answer by minimo77 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I really hate it. I like the old fashioned spellings. It bothers me so much to see it.

Answer by mompam at 11:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I work at a school and have to deal with parents who get an attitude when they feel they need to correct the way their child's name is pronounced and spelled because they created such an off-the-wall-spelling. It's frustrating so from my experience I don't like it at all. I know they (the parents) think "its my child I can name them anything I want", but think about how many times you and that child will have to correct the pronounciation and spelling..
    Loved your two examples - RIDICULOUS IMO

Answer by meooma at 11:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I like unique but dont go crazy with dont want your child to go to school and constantly have to correct the way people say the name..

Answer by melsa30 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My daughter's name is Zoe-Jain. said Zoey jane. I really wish we would have just used the correct spelling!

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Some of those spellings aren't made up but rather foreign spellings.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't really mind it, my name is uncommon, not spelled wrong just not pronounced the way i do much in the states- I had to correct people about my name my whole life. I think adding a Y or an I isn't that big deal for a name. My kids have traditional names, spelled traditional ways, but there wasn't much to change. But I like my friend Dayzi's name and how it is spelled. No one ever pronounced it incorrectly. I guess it is just the parent's way of individualizing their child, no harm/no foul.

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• IMO, it doesnt matter if you spell it AirRick or Eric, it is still the same name, but the parents look uneducated, attention seeking, or have some delusion that if you spell a name incorrectly (unique is what they think it is), their child is better than the ones that spelled it correctly. Its still the same name. If you want a unique name, take the time and find one.. Research different languages, origins. Dont just take a ordinary name and phonetically spell it out, or throw in some unnecessary letters. Its not cute, and doesnt make your "original".

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think it is horrible. DD's best friend's name is Aireonnia. There is no way that girl is going to get by in life without having to spell her name out for EVERYBODY and still have it spelled wrong. And coming from someone who always has her name mispronounced and misspelled, it SUCKS!

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't mind unique spellings as long as they are phonetically correct.

Answer by KairisMama at 12:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011