I am going to ask this question, but, ONLY because I am curious about what makes women not choose this, not because I want to stir up trouble. Please just answer simply or not at all.

Why did you choose to not breastfeed your first born even for one sitting in the hospital? Was it lack of understand how to do it? Embarrassment? No other reference in your life to pull from? You thought it was gross? Thought formula would be easier?

Every time I see this question asked, I only seem to see people answer with "It's my choice and I can do what I want and formula is fine."

I understand that. My son was fed formula from one month on. I stopped because I was uneducated on nursing and didn't understand the process at all. I knew it was what you were "supposed" to do, but, I didn't know enough about it to get past certain issues we were having. Like the eating nonstop. I didn't know it was a growth spurt. I assumed he wasn't getting enough.

I am just curious what makes some people choose not to start at all.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was taking drugs that would have been bad in breast milk. Medications that I had to take in order to stay sane and alive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thank you so much anon for answering truthfully and nicely. I appreciate it.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• A problem arose during pregnancy. I needed an emergency surgery right after giving birth. The medicines I was put on were not safe for baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I breastfed, but my younger cousin told me she wasn't going to with her son because it would just be weird. Weird? I asked her. She said yes, I think of boobs sexually not to feed a baby. I don't understand her reasoning, but I guess it was her choice.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I breastfed for only about a month. It was way too demanding. I couldn't function because I had to get up every 2 hours. She was constantly hungry. On my next daughter I probably won't breastfeed at all. There is nothing wrong with not breastfeeding. My daughter is as healthy as a horse. Yes it's healthy for a baby to be breastfed but I thought being able to function on all cylinders was more important
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I didn't breast feed my oldest because i thought it was gross, i guess i was just young and didn't understand alot about it, but i did breastfeed my other son, I don't think people are educated enough and when they run into problems there aren't alot of people to help them out.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• For me i just could not get used to the idea and the way i work it would not work for me...Formula was just easier for me...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I just want to say thank you all for answering the question as written and not giving me the formula is fine speech. I mean, my son was FF. I get it. LOL

And thank you all for being honest and sincere.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I couldnt breastfeed any of my kids do to medications I am taking, plus all my kids have allergies to milk, so the hospital said my kids would be allergic to my milk. My 2 oldest were on nutramigen, and my youngest was on 6 diff formulas until this newest one called elecare, and shes finally able to tolerate this one. She has severe reflux, on meds for that, on a apnea monitor.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I was only 18, a single mom, no support and no one in my family breastfed. I knew nothing about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2011