"Extreme" Coupon Question... Part 2.

I've really been wanting to figure out how to make the whole coupon thing work - and this "extreme couponing" seems awesome - BUT here's the thing. Most of the products I'm seeing these people buy aren't products I would use, so it seems like a waste. For example, one guy had like 300 tubes of Crest Toothpaste. Which is okay if you use Crest, but I don't believe in Fluoride, so we use Toms. I've NEVER seen coupons for Toms. And I'm seeing the same thing for LOTS of other products too - soap, dish washing detergent, laundry soap and so on. I don't use the chemical filled options that you can easily find coupons for. But if you can actually earn some "cash back" by getting the other stuff (that we won't use) should I simply not buy it and loose the money or should I buy it and give it to charity or what?

Also, does anyone know where I can find coupons for things like Method or Toms of Maine or Seventh Generation or whatever... You know, the Greener stuff? I would love coupons for that stuff.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I see method and seventh generation coupons off and on.

It just takes loads of effort to hunt them down.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I get coupons for Seventh Generation and Toms in my local paper. You can also write to the company that you like their product and they'll usually send you a coupon to thank you. Also check their website to see if there are coupons there, or Google "Method coupon" (or whatever brand) to see if there are printable versions.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• http://www.seventhgeneration.com/coupons

I don't usually get things that I don't need. If its free or cheap though I will get it and donate it to the homeless shelter they always need personal hygiene products.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I guess what I'm thinking is if something is on sale and I have a great coupon where I'm either getting it for a few pennies or where I'm getting money back (which I did with gum once and it was awesome! lol) it would pay to buy more than I normally would cause it would save dollars in the long run - BUT if it's stuff I won't use it's not saving me. BUT if I'm getting money back it's actually paying me to buy it, so it would cut the cost of something else, again though, if I won't use it, I don't want all the junk in my house. So where can I donate this stuff?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't know of any shelters in the area... The only ones I know of are an hour away in the city...

• Do your schools have any disadvantage families? Friends that are just scraping by? For health and beauty items sending them to troops overseas would be a great thing to do as well. I adopted a solider for awhile and thats what he asked for.

http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Get the free stuff and donate it to charity! The battered womens shelter could use 200 tubes of toothpaste and they will give you a tax write off so you are still getting somthing for your effort. Plus it feels so good to help others!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011