keeping ingrown toenails away?

i always get ingrown toenails on and off for the past 12 yrs.Do i cut my nails wrong or something? what can i do to keep it away.Cause its bloodstained right now and its so annoying.It keeps coming back.I take good care of my feet.Is it a genetic thing? Do i need better shoes or something? Can someone tell me how to get rid of it and keep it away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Health

• They say to always cut them straight across. Dont follow the curve of you toe. the end have kinda stick out a bit on each side so they dont grow into the skin.
    Anonymous

• If they don't go away, they can be corrected by a simple surgery. I had to have it done on my left foot (big toe). They remove the toenail all the way down to where it starts (close to the first knuckle) and let it start over again, all fresh and brand new.

The surgery worked wonders for me...I suffered for about 3 years with off and on infections, tenderness and bleeding. It has been 6 years since the surgery and I have not had another problem with that particular toe.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have the same problem. I have been told that it is genetic. My former BFF got the surgery done and was told it would permanently keep the ingrown toenails away and they came back within a year so I just continue to cut my own out. It's not big deal except when it gets infected and then I just gotta deal with that for a bit.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2008