What do you think of the fact that archaeologists have found a gay caveman?

(Newser) – The first known "gay caveman" has been unearthed in a dig outside Prague, researchers believe. Archaeological team members based their conclusion on the fact that the male body was interred in a ritualistic way reserved for females. "We know people from this period took funeral rites very seriously so it is highly unlikely that this positioning was a mistake," said the lead archaeologist. "Far more likely is that he was a man with a different sexual orientation—homosexual or transsexual," she added.

The body dates to as long ago as 2900 BC, reports the Telegraph, and was buried with the head pointing east and surrounded by domestic jugs. Men at the time were buried facing west and surrounded by weapons and tools. "What we see here doesn't add up to traditional Corded Ware cultural norms," said the team leader. Another researcher classified it as "one of the earliest cases of what could be described as a 'transsexual' or 'third gender' grave."

http://www.newser.com/story/115834/researchers-unearth-first-gay-caveman.html

I love that it FINALLY lends credence to being born with an orientation.  Back then population growth would have been crucial so 'choosing' to be gay would make even less sense than it does now.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it does, but you will never convince people that believe it is a choice. They are a too rigid in their convictions.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree they are reaching. He could be gay, or he could have been buried in such a way as a sign of disrespect by people who didn't like him.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. I believe people are born with their sexual orientation. I don't need a homosexual caveman to convince me.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree with you.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think that some people choose to be gay and others are born that way.

A friend was molested as a child. She's afraid of men and has chosen to date women. For her it was a choice.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Well, cavemen lived in pretty small communities/tribes...where is his partner?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• What do you think of the fact that archaeologists have found a gay caveman?

I am supportive of Gay Rights as a state issue.  This article doesn't change that...  But OP~ By this quote alone, "Far more likely is that he was a man with a different sexual orientation—homosexual or transsexual,"~  I don't see where you are getting that archeologists have facts... I can see~ If anything, these findings points to probability, likelihood..  But I do find it interesting that he, "surrounded by domestic jugs, rituals only previously seen in female graves."  Could  this mean, if he was gay, then they stereotyped him as a domesticate and not a warrior?  Warriors couldn't be gay even back then?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• First of all, as already mentioned it is not a fact. It is a supposition based on circumstantial evidence. The caveman COULD be gay, or maybe there was some other logical explanation that we don't know about. Regardless of that fact, I've always supported gay rights and whether they were "born that way" or chose that way doesn't matter. And if the caveman was gay, whose to say he didn't choose to be gay also? Perhaps there were limited females in his tribe.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Proves nothing.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• LOL SleepingBeautee as the Anon below you illustrated.
    My best friend is a gay man. I met him when I was 5 and he was 6. Everyone could tell then that he was gay so I KNOW it's not a choice.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think that gay people have been around since biblical times so why not before? No biggie lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2011