Do you think that it is proper to make your child go to church?

Chunky_Dynamic

Asked by Chunky_Dynamic at 11:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Proper? I don't know. But yes, If I'm going to church, my children will go with me. My oldest will complain, mumble and grumble but he will go.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I believe in God, so yes, I think you SHOULD as a parent teach your child about God. It could be church, MOPS, Sunday school, VBS or anything for them to learn about God. Doesn't have to be just church...and hopefully it shouldn't be forced.

I feel when they are older, they can make their own decisions.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If their children are to young to stay home alone, then yes. I don't believe the parents should have to pay a sitter or deny themselves religious practice simply because they have children. However if there is a parent who is not going to church (and is healthy of course, I don't mean a sick in bed parent) the children should get the option to stay home should they want to. And once children are old enough to stay home alone for a few hours I believe they should get the choice. I was forced (by a threat of violence) to go to church and the only thing it did was drive a wedge further between me an a religion I didn't mesh with. It certainly didn't change my feeling about that religion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I believe everyone should be free to choose their own religion. I don't think you should force anyone to attend a worship ceremony.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If the family goes to church, the children should be expected to go. Our children grew up going to church because it was what our family did on Sundays. There was never a question from a single one of them asking if they had to go. Our spiritual nourishment was as much a part of our lives as was our physical nourishment. Now that they are all adults with famililes of their own, they continue to attend worship every week with their families, and so far, not one of those grandchildren has asked if they have to go to church. The oldest of them is about to turn 13.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I steer my children in the direction I feel they should go so yes my children go to church with me. As they become adults I cant force them to go, all I can do is pray they will stay in church. But if you live in my home you will attend church with the family...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I take mine to Sunday School and we all go to church. When they get older they will be able to decide for themselves but at this age I'm allowed to make that decision for them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes, of course to a child if you ask them had they rather stay at home and play or go to church we know what most of them would choose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't think that parents should force children to go if there are other options for them to remain home while the parents go. I've always said faith is a choice not a birthright. Its one thing to expose and teach a child about religion. Quite another to shove it down their throat.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Anon I am proud to say mine would choose church.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011