How to get a baby on schedule with cereal and a bottle?

Okay, so I have a 4 month old daughter and she eats cereal just fine I'm just wondering how to get her on a schedule of when to eat her cereal and if it should be before or after her bottle or what I should do with this? Thanks in advance for the advice.

kaysmomma121110

Asked by kaysmomma121110 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Always AFTER bottle. Formula should be her MAIN nutrition before one. ANY food is only for a little practice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I always substituted a breastfeeding session with a some cereal and then usually just let her decide when she wanted her next boob feeding. However, she was about 7 months old not 4.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My 4 month old used to have it in her bottle until we changed her to elecare formula, and sometimes I have to still add it. My daughter isnt ready to eat rice on a spoon yet.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my daughter does great at eating it. she somewhat opens up for it, but we started like a week early because she was being a little piglet :3
    kaysmomma121110

Comment by kaysmomma121110 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• this is a good question mommas, my youngest is four months, and we mix the cereal with the milk it makes him much fuller than he use to get. we use to feed him every two hours before we purchased the cereal but now that we mix the two he stays full for about four hours. the last bottle feeding that he receives is around 8:30pm then he honestly sleeps threw the night till about 9am sometimes 10am. you kind of have to pick a schedule that works for the both of you as the child and the parent. or youll be up all night and you dont want that. good luck
    Chunky_Dynamic

Answer by Chunky_Dynamic at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Babies are supposed to want to eat every 2 hours. They are not meant to go 4+hours without eating. Especially before 6 months. "Filling them up" so they will be full for hours on end is not a good thing for their bellies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Feed the bottles on demand... that lasts all year. Solids follow the bottle, all through the first year of life. Baby will lose nothing if she takes little in solids. She COULD get shortchanged if solids replace the bottle feedings.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My baby right now eats 7oz every 7 hours, and we try to throw a little cereal in there when she gets hungry between feedings, @gdiamante what do you mean by 'shortchanged'?
    kaysmomma121110

Comment by kaysmomma121110 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011