She said she is Bored so she peed herself?

My DD had an accident the other day and all the sudden she has reverted back to having accidents! I asked her why she wet herself and she said "I was bored" She is 5!

I don't know what to do, she is driving me nuts! She isn't ignored, neglected and has tons of coloring books, toys and her sister to keep her entertained.

What can I do? She is grounded right now, no tv, no toys, no coloring books.. just sitting in her room because I am at a loss!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like she might be seeking attention, in which case it would be best to not make a fuss over it, hard as that sounds.

Calmly get a bucket and soap and let her scrub out all of the wet clothes herself.

Find something positive she can do. Tell her since she is so bored, give her chores and reward her for 5 or 6 chores well done.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• well, I'm out of ideas. I am sure she will stop before middle school? ;0) Good luck and I am sending some extra patience your way!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'd like to hear some answers to this question, too! I'm dealing with something similar. We actually had to start the potty chart again (you know...she pees, you give her a sticker lol) in our house and our daughter will be 6 in september! So I feel your pain and I hope this gets resolved quickly :)
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 11:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have TWO charts in the house, one for day and one for night. We agreed that when she goes 101 days AND nights she gets a puppy (we want a family dog anyway, this was just to make her try harder). nothing works!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• And limit her fluids and put her on a potty schedule for awhile so she has less opportunity to have the accident. It can be a habit, so you want to have less time for the habit to form, and nip it in the bud as quickly as possible. I also forgot to add, if the wet is on the floor, make her scrub that up as well. Hopefully she will try harder to get to the potty.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• She knows when to go, she went almost 3 months with no accidents. The other day i just assumed she was playing so hard today ive got nothing. we were just coloring together not 5 minutes before.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 101 is a big number. Maybe add some short term goals in as well. For every 10 you get to go get ice cream with mommy and daddy or a new littlest pet shop or something! And I totally agree she cleans it up. Include rinsing out the panties in the sink.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• we have short term goals, after 11 days she gets her movies back, 12 she gets the multi movie dvds back, 13 she gets the wii back and 14 she gets netflix back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• well, then that sounds reasonable...
    Hmm....
    Have you just for the heck of it ruled out UTI? Maybe she is embarrassed to tell you she just couldn't hold it. It's a long shot but you never know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• doctor said nope and that she is just being a "hardhead"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011