How was life before computers came to existence?

MMXI

Asked by MMXI at 11:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have no idea since my mom probably bought the VERY first ever personal computer (she's a serious techy lol) but I'm sure it was pretty boring LOL
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• hahahahah!

Well, I think you mean before PC's, because, computers for stores & businesses have been around awhile, but before PC's, we had to do all research at the library. We talked on the phone a lot more & typed all of our work on a typewriter. If we needed copies we used carbon paper, or had to go to a place with copy machines....when they existed. All important business had to be done in person, or through the mail when a disaster happened, we had to wait until the news got the information, or someone could reach you by phone. We read the newspaper more. Networking with people who had similar interests could be more challenging & usually involved face to face meetings, so you were more limited in who you knew by location. You couldn't just get online & find a recipe for something new, you had to find it in a book, or call someone you knew. If you watched a cooking show that had a recipe you sent a request by mail. etc.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• A lot more peaceful, as I remember! (Cell phones weren't here, either).
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It just was. Kind of like we can't remember a time when there were no cars, radios, tv, and women baked bread and made butter for their households.

Kids played outside. We rode our bikes all over our neighborhood. We went to libraries for information, used phone books and called people on the phone.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Pretty nice. I ought to know. Im a 60's child. Kid's NEVER sat inside watching TV or playing video games or on the WWW. They went outside and played till the street lights came on, everyday. 98% of all kid's were skinny or normal weight. Never obese except in really rare cases. Kid's knew how to play with other kid's without texting or e-mail and actually talked to one another. Iv been on the internet since the late 70's and Iv watched it grow into the GIANT porno ad it seems to be today. Kid's are fat, lazy and act entitled to everything and push their parents around. Or seems that way to me anyways.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't know for sure because I am obviously too young but I would imagine......alot less complicated. Because of computers we are all forced to be smarter for productive workaholics. We don't stop and spend time with our families.
    nykkybryches

Answer by nykkybryches at 12:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Normal. It was normal. But, the other day my husband needed to know how many inches were in ____millimeters. I was telling him the formula and stopped, googled the question and the answer was immediate. He just sat back and commented on how things have changed in our life time. We got our first computer in 1994. It was 100 mhz processor, 256, with a dial-up modem. My blackberry is more powerful than that computer. My son's new laptop is 4 gig DDram, 180 gig hard drive, but he has an external 1 terabite drive. It amazes me the advancement since you had to know how to operate in Dos or punch cards.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• great............people talked to each other more
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think we had a lot more freedom before home computers, video games and cell phones. Now we are bound to these things like we couldn't live without them but the truth we used to! When I was a kid we were ALWAYS outside playing, we had a couple of favorite TV shows (on the four channels we had) and we waited all week till Saturday morning to watch cartoons. It gave us something to look forward to, I think it was a pretty good tool to keep us behaved all week too :o) We used books for everything . . . we only talked to our friends at school or when we earned phone privileges. We wrote letters and waited anxiously to be written back.

While I like the convieniences we have now, I have to admit that I sometimes miss the days before we had them . . .

qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 12:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• seems like there was a lot more family time
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011