I hate smoking.....................help

i hate smoking but i can not fix my addiction and i tend to smoke more and more and more and i like it and dont at the same time and the cravings are awful and i have tried to quit many times with wellbutrin,nicorette,cold turkey i dont know what to do............ if i was to go to a hospital or a jail for two weeks i know it would help alott but i know i cant go to jail without a recored and the hospital well who knows.............please help me ladys i really dont want my three year old smoking............or any future children i might have to smoke or be around it............and no mater what my mind tells me..........it just wont stop....how do i do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• I have the same problem. I have tried patches, gum, wellbutrin, Chantix, and just about anything else I can think of. I decided to do something drastic to motivate me to quit. I am donating my kidney to a stranger and I need to be smoke free for 30 days before surgery. I am planning on quitting May 1st. Find something that will work for you and good luck!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• This is what worked for me . . . and I LOVED smoking! (I just didn't like what it did to me).
    I took one pack and divided it up into a step down:
    Day 1: 5 cigs
    Day 2: 5 cigs
    Day 3: 4
    Day 4: 3
    Day 5: 2
    Day 6: 1

Stick to that, and tell yourself that this is it . . .you will not waste another 5 bucks on stuff to smoke . . .

Stock up on fizzy water, gum, sugar free mints, vege snacks,etc.
    When the craving gets really bad, close your eyes, visualize yourself smoking while you take deep breaths in and out. This actually will make you feel like you have smoked, even though you haven't . . . .it is psychological . . .
    Good luck. You can do it. I am about 8 yrs clean from cigs, and it is easy now. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• may not help, but you just have to try. when you get the urge to smoke just eat some candy or chew a piece of gum.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• U need to get an enormous amount of willpower. I know it seems easier said then done. My sister smoked for over 20 years and she quit cold turkey. It does work. Maybe u should go to your doctor and ask if u could see an x-ray of a smokers lungs. Smokers think that their smoking is undetectable,it is detectable. When u go to the dentist they can tell because u have dry mouth and whits patches in the back of your mouth. As well as the condition of your teeth!!! All around it is bad news to smoke. U need to stop!!! I know it is hard but there r no health benefits to it. Put on your big girls pants and stop it!!!!!!! No more excuses!! Life is hard!!! U deal with it!!!! Stop it!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I love imaginationmamas answer!!! I am struggling with anon...........god bless!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I smoked on and off for about 10 years. Sometimes very little, but by the time I quit, I was regular. The addiction to nicotine is mostly psychological. The psychological part is the hardest, anyway. There really are not many physical withdrawal symptoms or side effects. The problem comes when you are triggered.
    I used to smoke when I needed time-out to relax and think. You'll need a new activity for that. Meditating and deep breathing was the best thing for me to replace it with.
    I also found that I used to smoke instead of cry sometimes . . . so I had to get reaquainted with crying and being sad or angry sometimes.
    Don't be scared . . . it is totally doable . . . just focus on how happy your body and your lungs will get everyday that you allow them to heal.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm struggling right there with you anon. I think I will try ImaginationMama's idea. I hope it works out for all of us who are struggling :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I smoked when I met my husband (I was 18) and he made it very clear that he could not stand smoking. I chose him over smoking. However, smoking was always easy for me to quit (I would quit while going on family vacations) so I could do it cold turkey. I loved smoking and would probably still be doing it if not for my husband. However, I am a horrible nail biter. I have been biting my nails since I was 2 and have tried a zillion times to quit. Smoking was so much easier than nail biting. How backwards is that?

Good luck with quitting!
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ii smoked for 8 years. I was only able to wuit when I did bc dh quit with me we were able to motivate each other to quit.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• OH,ONE MORE THING! SMOKING DOES NOT MAKE OR KEEP U THIN!!!! THAT IS A LIE!!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011