Does my 2 year old have ADHD?

I am having a really hard time with my 2 year old. My husband had ADHD and took medication for it up until high school and now I am concerned that my daughter has inherited it from her dad. My child is so on the go. She will not sit still for nothing. I can't take her anywhere in public without her running wild. She can't sit for more than 3-5 minutes. We have never been able to go out to dinner and enjoy a meal without having to either rush to eat our food, or get it to go right after it is served. She is very independent, doesn't like to sit in her stroller, a high chair, a buggy, anywhere at all. From the time she wakes up until she goes to sleep it's go go go. She doesn't play well with other kids, she yells and hits other kids. She yells and screams all day long. She doesn't like to wait for anything, when she wants something she wants it NOW. I am at my wit's end at this point with her behavior. I have tried disciplining her by spanking, time out, taking toys or tv away, and she'll go right back to doing what she just got in trouble for. Advice? Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk this over with her pediatrician and ask if it is early enough to have her evaluated.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Every 2 year old has ADHD. lol. Pick one discipline method and stick with it. You seem to have switched around a lot in only 2 years! The Book 1-2-3 Magic is great. The trick is no method is instant gratification.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Sounds like a 2 year old to me, and no offence, although you probably will take offence, sounds like she is spoiled and you let her get away with murder. I dont KNOW that for sure, just by the sounds of her behavior.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I tried to talk to my sons dr when he was 4 about it, they told me that they couldnt do anything (IF he did) until he was 5. It may be different there (This was in NY) But I still think that about my son and he acts the same way!
    SoldiersGirl09

Answer by SoldiersGirl09 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• She sounds like a 2 year old. She will test the limits until she knows what they are and then she will test them to see if they have changed. Consistency is the best tool. My stepson's mother is convinved that he has ADD because she describes him exactly the way you describe your daughter. We think she is crazy because he is very well behaved at our house.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• erm . . . *ADHD*
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• ADHD can't be diagnosed till 5-6 years old. She sounds like a normal two year old the twos can be terrible but they don't last forever.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I am going through the same thing with my 2 year old and everyone thinks it's just terrible two's, instead of thinking of it as this to shall past, how can parents like myself deal? what tips can anyone give?
    taydayremom

Answer by taydayremom at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2012