How do legal immigrants feel about illegal immigrants?

I have read a few posts and most aren't happy with the whole idea. They did it the right way, and have become citizens, but yet their are so many illegals that do not do it that way. Legal immigrants have assimilated to the US culture, but yet all the illegals refuse to do that. They claim their home country and flag and refuse to learn English and expect their children to translate.

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Not ALL illegal immigrants are like that...it's very expensive to become a citizen, unfortunately :( And some illegal people came here with their parents when they were young, so it's not like they had a choice in the matter. Lots of members of my boyfriend's family have assimilated into the US culture, but they're illegal because they don't have the funds or the means to apply for citizenship. It's not that easy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• OH, and not all illegal immigrants are non-English speakers. There are illegal immigrants living here from all walks of life and all countries. You never know if that British or Irish or Asian person you're talking to is legally allowed to live here...just something to think about.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Oh good this is a break from the Welfare questions, I was wondering when we'd get back to hating the immigrants or gays again. Well to answer the question, I love them. Unless your Native American you too are an illegal immigrant. The last time I check the Native Americans had their own language and we don't speak that now.

Anonymous

• I came to this country as a small child, and my family came in through the legal way. I don't feel that the illegals are the problem, rather they are the scapegoat. Not too long ago, I was irate about the whole illegal immigrant issue, until I realized that they weren't the problem. Think about it, what harm have they done to this country? They come here and do the jobs no one else wants for less than half the pay, yeah, they killed our economy! Anon 9:54 made a great point re the Native Americans. Illegal immigration is just a smokescreen to keep us from seeing the real problems in this country, like the downward spiral of our economy that is so far gone it's dwarfed the whole illegal immigration issue.  If I am ranting, blame the cold meds!  G'nite

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

Uhh...that's false.  #1 - If your ancestors came over on the Mayflower (I'm being snarky...) then they aren't illegal.  There were no laws in place for immigration back then.  No laws = not illegal.  #2 - My great grandparents were BORN here.  Therefore - citizens. 

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• so the immigrants should come here kill and/or slave everyone, rape the women and steal the land? that was done to the native Americans. and taht's legal..bull
    Anonymous

• Ask a Native American how they feel about what has happened to "their" country. Whether or not laws where in place, they were here first this was their country and your ancestors born here or not has ruined their country. So lets not call them illegal but rather unwanted guest same difference.

Anonymous

• Get this Anonymous above me she claims she is Hispanic.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 10:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• "No laws = not illegal."
    Stealing land = illegal, even if there wasn't a law on the books.
    LOL
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 10:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• So is this a case of self-hate? I don't get it

Anonymous