"That's not how my mom does it..."

Have you ever felt like you get compared to your SO's mother? I'm sure there's always some sort of thought in our minds, wondering if our SO is thinking "that's not what my mom does, how she does it, etc. I know lately it's crossed my mind. My SO just happened to be a momma's boy, but yet he is very emotionally withdrawn like his dad. He's said the "....my mom..." comments a few times. I love his mom, I have no problems with her, but with him it's like I JUST KNOW he compares me to her, or at least how she was with him when he was growing up. Especially cooking. Oh damn, my cooking isn't what it used to be....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• my stbx was ALWAYS comparing me and how i do things to his mom. grr i hated it.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my fiancee doesnt do that to me he knows better his mommy is CRAZY I'd slap him in the face lol
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 9:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My dh use to do this when we first got married....he eventually grew out of it, especially after he noticed I was not paying attention to what his mother use to do for himwink mini

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Here's a little poem for those days:

He didn't like the casserole
    And he didn't like my cake
    He said my bicuits were too hard....
    Not like his mother used to make
    I didn't perk the coffe right
    He didn't like the stew
    I didn't mend his socks
    The way his mother used to do
    I pondered for an answer
    I was looking for a clue
    Then I turned aroud and smacked the shit out of him
    Like his mother used to do

MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 10:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't here the comments about his mom, but I definitely here them about mine. My mother has my husband so high on a pedestal I think his nose bleeds. I let it slide though because my mother had all three girls, no boys. So, my brother in law and husband are her baby boys and can get away with anything.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• LOL. I like Marlyegirl's poem! Don't let it get to you. Like you said, he's a mommas boy. If it gets too outta hand, tell him he can go live with her! He should grow up soon. Don't kill yourself trying to measure up, just continue to be you.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Ohhhhhhhhhh, Cuddlek... that's one quick way to get NO cookies!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 10:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I used to get that ALL the time. We've been married almost 5 yrs and it's not as often anymore, but still every once in a while he lets it slip. But I still know that he does it in his head! I just keep doing things my way, and if he doesn't like it, he can go home to his mommy! (And I've told him as much!)
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• lol i guess I got lucky. My hubby has only ever lived with his mom for about a total of 2yrs and they didn't even get along. he grew up with his grandma, and he absolutely hates her cooking and other habits! So I guess I'm blessed for that! GL to you guys!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• A few things come to mind.... "thats not how my mom does it..." " i wasnt aware that you intended to marry your mom" " thats not how my mom does it" "well then why dont you have your mom do it?" "thats not how my mom does it" Oh I could go on all day. By the way I told my husband about this question and he laughed. "You marry your wife for you wife, not to marry your mother."
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2008