Help with my 2yr old

I could have sworn that my LO has some secret juice hiding somewhere that turns him into Mr. Hyde when I'm not looking. But I think I've finally cracked whats going on. He wants my attention BAD. He only gets all insane when someone else is around. And I was on the phone with my mom for about 30 minutes, he peed in his pants 3 times WHILE I was on the phone. He hasn't had an accident in about a week. While babysitting he's sooo mean to the kid I watch. At the grocery store (while said kid was there) LO gets mad and BIT me! He hasn't done that since he was a year old. And I've noticed he's gotten VERY excited about this new baby coming, but the more excited he gets the crazier he's acting. Does anyone have ANY clue how I can help this??? Right now he's great sitting by me and reading a book. 5 minutes ago while I was on the phone he's peeing his pants and having an emotional breakdown. I just need ideas on how to help him feel more attention. Keep in mind I'm a SAHM and from 7:30am to 2:30pm its just him and I at the house, so he's not having to fight for attention except on Tues and Thurs every 2 weeks when I babysit.

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him if he stays dry or uses the potty (correctly) you'll reward him with Let him know when you are getting a phone call and the reward is up for grabs. If he has an honest accident while you are on the phone, offer sympathy and a hug. GL
    since_3.18.93

Answer by since_3.18.93 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• to me sounds like he is jealous issue going on? He feels like maybe u don't pay attention to him when other's around cause ur full attention isn't fully focused on him? It's a stage two yr. olds go thru an it's tough, I know but it will pass in time..
    heiditr

Answer by heiditr at 1:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My second child was a major momma's boy, so when #3 was coming, boy was I scared he'd go crazy with a new sibling. We worked him toward independence. It also helped if I would talk to him while interacting with the other child or person. When I would get on the phone (and I still have to do this), I answer the phone, tell whoever it is to hold on just a moment, I explain to him that I am going to be on the phone and I expect him to refrain from interrupting. It helps if I can be quick. We taught him the appropriate way to get my attention (not yelling, but waiting patiently and asking "Excuse me?"). It isn't something that is an easy fix. He still gets all crazy if I get busy. I have to intentionally remember to speak to him while I'm in the midst of craziness. When I make the attempt to pay attention to him, he seems calmer. Even if it is "You sit and color while I answer e-mails. Fun huh?"
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 1:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011