Question about 2 of my dogs

We have three dogs- a 1 yr old female Great Pyrenees, a 7 yr old female Cocker Spaniel, and a 9 yr old male St. Bernard. The Saint is the newest addition, he's been with us for about three months now. We adopted the cocker two years ago, and brought the Pyr home when she was 9 weeks- both were from rescues. Our Pyr and our Saint seem to get along most of the time, but our Saint seems to get agitated when our Pyr goes in the living room. They are just fine outside, on walks, and everywhere else in the house- I never leave them unsupervised though, just in case. We have a fairly big house so keeping them separated indoors really isn't too difficult, but I wish we didn't have to. How can we tell the difference between playing and actual agression? What are some things we can do with our Saint to help him work through this? I don't think he's playing when he starts barking at her, but he also doesn't growl so I'm really not sure. How can I avoid fighting between the two of them, and how long should I expect the Saint to need to adjust to all of his changes? The other two get along wonderfully, and our cocker gets along really great with our Saint. He just doesn't seem to like our Pyrenees nearly as much as she seems to like him.

Ok, hopefully that made sense LOL, if you need clarification just ask.

LillyJD

Asked by LillyJD at 12:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pets

• No, our local bark busters has an awful reputation and you would waste your time with a serious dog reactivity problem such as this, assuming that is what this is.

You have some very large and potentially very protective breeds, you are wise to be cautious for the time being. I think you should give a call to your vet and first have the dog checked out to be sure he is medically fit, which would include a good physical, a full blood test to check things like thyroid and adrenals, and a structural exam for bones and joints. If it is medical in root, the training will be useless. If the dog is experiencing pain, it can result in some types of aggressive behaviors, particularly with other dogs. If he checks out medically, then your vet can direct you to a board certified behaviorist or perhaps an experienced animal behaviorist.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 7:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have a 7 yr old male German Shepherd, a 4 yr old female Husky, and just got a new puppy, he's 12 weeks old. Our Shepherd gets easily annoyed with the puppy but we just let them go. They have to establish pecking order. Just keep an eye on them when they are together, it may take a little time. Especially since the Saint Bernard is older and a rescue. He's going to have to learn to trust all of you in his new home. It won't happen overnight.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Google the name and number for your local Bark Busters rep and contact them to help you. Great company!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011