• In the Spotlight:

my son is 14 months old and is always hitting me. how can i get him to stop?

cc13669

Asked by cc13669 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little guy used to do that, it took a bit of patience and repetition, but each time he hit me I would get down to his eye level and calmly tell him that he hurt mommy and that it wasn't nice. It eventually worked out but you have to be consistent.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 10:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I agree. Consistency is key. It's not unusual for kids to hit... consider it the first step in a lifetime of searching for limits. My son only does it when he's wacked-out-tired... and then he hits EVERYTHING. His gentle hands just go out the window.. Anyway - I grab his hand to stop the action, look him in the eye, tell him (firmly in your best "I mean business" voice) no and that it hurts mommy or the dog or whomever and it makes us sad. He usually realizes he did someething wrong and starts to cry, but he'll give it up after a second when he realizes I'm not falling for it... then he apologizes (as little ones do... by giving a hug or kiss). Most of the time I just try to avoid the triggers for the behavior... and be consistent when it comes up. Also knowing your kid (what they value... what's appropriate motivation for them) helps. Good luck! Wait for the biting..
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 10:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Try doing that, but also try making ur child do "nice touches" and rub ur cheek it helps with my daughter sometimes befor i even get in my "down to business voice" she says niiii (nice) and rubs my face so lightly. it tells me that she lost control but realizes what she did and knows. She is 19 months
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I act like I'm hurt when my 2-year-old hits me. Then he understands that it hurts people and he gets concerned. Don't over do it. They can tell when your playing or lying.
    nealie

Answer by nealie at 10:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2008