How do I tell my new empployer of 2 weeks I'm pregnant?

I'm 18 weeks 5 days. I'm really starting to show through my baggy uniform. I think one boss caught on. Would they be upset w me if I started REALLY showing without mentioning it? I just don't want them to treat me w attitude because I never mentioned it at time of hire.

shynu

Asked by shynu at 1:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I got hired when I was 3 months pregnant. I just looked a little chubby. I didn't feel they needed to know, but once it was pretty obvious (around five months) I talked to HR about it. They cannot fire you for being pregnant, and if they do you can easily take action against them. I would wait until you feel comfortable to tell them.
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• This is what i said I too found out I was pregnant when I had just started a job, " I wanted to let you know that ____(DATE) or around there I am going to be taking some time off to have a baby. I do not want you to worry, Ialso want to assure you Me being pregnant will in no way effect my performance at work or ability to do my job and I will do my best to schedule my dr visits during my lunch or on days I am off, or we are slow"
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Well depending on how large the employer they could be in real trouble if they discriminate against you - it's illegal and actionable. You had NO DUTY to advise them of your pregnancy when they hired you. I would tell them when you are ready and probably before it is too obvious so they don't feel like you think they are stupid. Just inform them as you would anything else and move on. Good Luck.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would inform them that you are pregnant and due on ____. You do not plan on the pregnancy inhibing the quality of your work adn how much time you plan to take off. They can't fire you for being pregnant unless it keeps you from doing you job. They may or may not have to hold you job for you since you just started there. It depends on your state laws.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They cannot legally treat you differently because you are pregnant. There are laws in place to protect you! They may not appreciate you not mentioning it at the interview though! I would just pull my boss asside privately and break the news to him. Apologize for not being more forth coming and tell him you need the job to support your baby. Explain to him/her that you are afraid that you will be treated differently and that this will not change your dedication to the company. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised by the way your boss and coworkers take the news. They may not be able to keep you in the same position, depending on what type of work you do... ie. if you are a painter you cant breath the fumes while pregnant!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I wasn't as far along as you... I actually found out I was pregnant a few weeks after I started my job - which means I got pregnant at the same time I got hired. I just waited until I hit about 12-13 wk, and said "Hey, listen..." Even now at 28wk, you can't tell I'm pregnant with my baggy work shirt.

Another time, I got my BFP on a sunday, and interviewed that Thursday (different company). I didnt say anything until the AFLAC people were talking to us about insurance and I said "So, does it cover maternity leave?" LOL, they were like "Really? When do you plan on taking it?"
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ronda, awesome answer! I know they can't fire you for being pregnant. BUT, my last employer found out. Started treating me w attitude. Trying to get me to quit by making my work difficult. I had my hair down when I clocked in then I put it up & I swear to you, they printed it out using the cameras and fired me for out of uniform because my hair is part of my uniform & @ the time I clocked in it was down. Disregarding I put it up LITERALLY right after that. I talk to a lawyer, HR & they said sadly they found a very legal loop hole.
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• well, they can't fire you fr being pregnant.
    TaylorBaby

Answer by TaylorBaby at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• you just tell them they can not fire you because you are expecting even if you are in a right to work state
    april545

Answer by april545 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011