If your child is eating solids, why breastfeed?

This is particularly for babies over a year old. I am curious for myself if I would continue as well.

RubyPlusOne

Asked by RubyPlusOne at 1:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It continues to be beneficial to the child's growth and immune system until age 2. Here is a great link

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Food doesn't equal or replace breastmilk... a baby still needs fluids and the best fluid would be breastmilk... formula and cows milk are "artificial" milk replacing what they need... breastmilk with another kind, but it doesn't mean they are as good.
    And while I didn't breastfeed past 12 months, it doens't mean that it's still not best to do so... I think the AAP says at least to 2 years is best.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I breastfed my 2nd for 17 months as long as I could. Like the above posting says its so good for their immune system.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• In additon to immunities. It reduces mom risk of getting breast cancer.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• B/c toddlers are notoriously picky eaters and it can fill in the nutrition gaps w/ the added bonus of still providing antibodies (they don't go away when your child turns 1 or 2 or 3, etc.). I nurse my 27-month-old. She eats food like a champ, but some days she doesn't eat as well as others, so I am glad she still as the option of nursing to fill in the nutritional gaps. I mean, you'd give your kid Pediasure or something like that to do the same thing, may as well do it the natural way, if possible.

Also, b/c it is very comforting for them. I especially love that benefit. It can calm a cranky toddler like nobody's business.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The nutrution is gives.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• There are numerous reasons. For the mom, studies show the longer a woman breastfeeds, the more she reduces her risk of cancers, breast, ovarian, etc. For a child, it helps their immune system in many ways. One great way, when a mom is 'exposed' her body will begin to make anti-bodies, within about 12 hours, she is passing those anit-bodies onto her child.

There are a multitude of physical benefits for extended breastfeeding. Do some reading, and i hope you will be peasantly surprised by all the positive attributes you find!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Why continue giving a bottle if they are eating solids? There, make sense now?? lol Sorry, I just think this is a stupid question.
    Anonymous

• – collapse
    none of that "until 2" stuff is true. studies that have been performed by CREDIBLE people, scientists, chemists, and doctors, show that breastmilk is only beneficial for the first 6 months. after the the antibodies no longer effect or develop the immune system. this is medical fact. not medical bologna like "breastfeeding is best for at least 2 years"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Because it still provides nutrition as well as comfort.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2011