Today the ped wanted to give my son the flu shot. I declined. Was it the right decision????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We never have gotten it. I have had flu once in my life. My son never has had a doctor documented case. Meaning, we didn't goto the doctor if he was sick, so, he was never tested. Most people can get over it in a couple days with rest and fluids.

No point in it for healthy folks. It isn't life threatening unless your immunodeficient compromised. Then, I would get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Why did you decline? Do you have a moral stance against the flu shot? Just wondering...the flu is REALLY serious and I think that I would have gotten my kids the shot...but thats me
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Every parent has to make decisions about shots like this for themselves. I chose to get the shot for my son b/c a lot of people at church kept getting the flu, and I wanted him get the shot so maybe he wouldn't get it. And so far this house has been flu free.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• But we arent in flu season now, so i dont see why your ped would see the need for the shot,
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We all parent differently. Everyone in my house gets an annual flu shot. Many parents have strong feelings and reasons for not getting them and that the right decision for them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I never give my kids flu shots.Besides..I dont think right now is peak flu season anyway.I think you made a good decision.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I never do a flu shot for my kids because right now they have the H1N1 in it and I dont trust it. My dd did get sick this year and it was bad. But ironically the strain she got everyone got, even those who got the shot. I have always let mine catch the flu and they usually get it once and then are immune.

Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my 2 oldes, their father and myself get the flu/h1n1 shot. My 4 month will get it in november when we get ours again. I would rather be safe then sorry
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't know. His last flu shot was given on 2006. Since then he's never had the flu. Prior 2007 he was always sick with the flu.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It's up to you! My son did get the flu shot but that was back in November at his 1 year ped appt.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2011