Question for moms of girls

How old was your daughter when she asked to wear a bra? Mine just turned 9. She says most of the girls in her class wear them.

1smartcookie

Asked by 1smartcookie at 1:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter is 9 and she decided when she was 7. I wasnt going to discourage her because she will eventually need to wear them anyway. I am pretty open with her to a certain extent.
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 1:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• that sounds about right. My daughter started about 9 or 10 I think. If she is asking, I'd get her a little one to start out.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Around 8 or so. My daughter was too embarrassed to ask I noticed that she needed one. I took her to the store so she can pick out her own age appropriate bra.
    Anonymous

• I got some for my oldest dd when she was 9 but she didn't need them. It was more of a joke although she did need them under one shirt that was so threadbare it was nearly see through. She'll be 11 in June and still doesn't need one. My 8 1/2yo dd wears them, though, because she thinks they are cool or something. She doesn't need them either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My almost 10 year old daughter wears those little girl "bras" from Old Navy...they're kind of like a cross between an undershirt and a bra. She really only needs it with thin shirts though, and she really doesn't like to wear it (complains it's uncomfortable...get used to it, honey, get used to it!)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thanks 8Tinkerboo8 - it just sounds so young to me! I remember my mom having to practically force me to wear one at 11 or 12.

1smartcookie

Comment by 1smartcookie (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I was 10 when my mom told me it was time.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Mine didn't ask we just saw that she needed one but she was 9 also. FYI we started out with the sport type ones they are more comfortable
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Mine was 5, shes a little bigger than other girls her age in the 95 percentile according to drs but you can tell she has little mole hills without a bra
    ktgolden

Answer by ktgolden at 1:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• everyone is different. Feel glad that she felt cool to come to you - that is awesome! I had to start wearing one super young as I was very overdeveloped for my age so I guess I'm on the opposite spectrum from you! Good Luck Mama! Next it will be her period - so be ready!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011